ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024s graduation, volleyball state championship and Junes Fashionista of the Month
ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024's graduation, volleyball state championship and June's Fashionista of the Month
June 17, 2024

Album review: “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT”

Credit: Melina Barris
Join WSPN reporter Torryn Carlson as she discusses Billie Eilish’s new album “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT.”

Billie Eilish released her newest album, “HIT ME HARD AND SOFT,” on May 17th. Based on the various reviews that I’ve heard, and after watching and listening to interviews, I dove into the album thinking that it would be about Eilish’s career as an artist and her experiences, as previously told by the Grammys. Instead, it captured much more, and a lot of raw emotion.

The opening of the album, “SKINNY,” starts off with a melancholy tone of voice, expressing how deep her depressive emotion is within the song. The meanings within the song range from body image and how people view Eilish, to the heartache she endured. With the end of this song being instrumental, it is one of the best songs to listen to when you want a classical feel but favor pop.

The song “LUNCH,” has been pretty popular on social media platforms like TikTok. This song is more upbeat and has a head-bopping rhythm when you listen. It makes you want to sing the lyrics word for word and dance with excitement.

For the song “CHIHIRO,” the start was more upbeat, but also had that woeful feel to the lyrics. The song is based on the depressive realization that the love the singer had given was stolen by her significant other. This epiphany in the song is something that listeners of Eilish’s music may have a connection with.

The start of “BIRDS OF A FEATHER” captivated me, for it had the lively beating of drums, making me stop to listen. This song revolves around the connection between two people and the fear of being alone without their love.

Rain sound effects create the tone for the rest of “WILDFLOWER.” Thus, affecting not only the listeners emotionally, but also through the singer’s heartbreaking encounter with her ex-lovers new girl.

Unlike most of the songs, “THE GREATEST” gets right into the lyrics. The lyrics showcase the heartbreak Eilish has consistently been expressing throughout all of these songs and how her heart can no longer take it.

“L’AMOUR DE MA VIE” has a more electrically charged feel toward the very beginning. This electric feeling is showcased through the instruments expressing Eilish’s questioning state. She is now questioning her previous relationship. Then, at the three-minute mark, the more electric pop part of the song powers through, showcasing the singer’s positive and negative feelings about how the relationship ended and how quickly the other party had moved on.

The start to “THE DINER” has a gothic vibe because of the slow beat of the instrumental. However, the song in its entirety is a song about convincing Eilish and others that she is over her ex. She is expressing how she truly feels.

“BITTERSUITE” starts off with an echoed and electric beat. Throughout the song, it reflects her hesitance to love and express herself, even if someone wants her.

Like many of the songs on the album, “BLUE” has a very mellow and electric beat and instrumental. Eilish reflects how truly sad she is, and she can’t say she is over the situation because of how much it affects her.

All in all, her album incorporates a vast range of deep expressions, ranging from love to heartache. This range of feelings met my expectations and filled the hearts of many Billie Eilish fans.