ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024s graduation, volleyball state championship and Junes Fashionista of the Month
ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024's graduation, volleyball state championship and June's Fashionista of the Month
June 17, 2024

Game recap: Baseball loses to Westborough

Credit: Maggie Buffum
Junior Owen Finnegan and coach Bo Finnegan sit and watch Wayland up at bat.

On Tuesday, May 21, the boys varsity baseball team played Westborough High School where Wayland lost 2-6. Although they lost, Wayland did not go down without a fight, keeping the score 2-3 for the first half of the game, before a strong offensive run by Westborough at the top of the seventh inning.

First half of the game:

The game began with captain senior Ezra Wyner, pitching and striking out the first Westborough player at bat. However, Westborugh scored three runs in the top of the first, and Wayland answered with two runs made by junior Luke Chisum and junior Owen Finnegan to close out the inning.

There were no runs scored by either team during the second inning, but Wayland had kept a solid defense. Catches from team captain senior Finn Bumstead in the infield and Finnegan in the outfield kept the score close.

Things started to go Westborough’s way at the top of the third inning when they scored a run, leaving Wayland two runs behind. Wayland couldn’t find any offense during the bottom of the inning, allowing Westborough to pull ahead.

Second half of the game:

Although Wayland had some good hits and steals in the fourth and fifth innings, Westborough put up a fight and got three outs against Wayland. Wyner had some strong pitches during the fourth and fifth, with a tag out at home plate. Then, the pitcher changed to senior Alex Janoff for the sixth inning until the end of the game. At the top of the sixth inning, Finnegan made a long catch to keep the score at 2-4.

Wayland kept up their good outfielding till the very end, but Westborough was able to hit a double at the top of seventh which sent two runners in, pulling even farther ahead from Wayland with a score of 2-6. During the bottom of the seventh, Wayland managed to hit a couple of runs, but two pop flys caught by Westborough ended the game.