Girls lacrosse beats Whitman-Hanson in playoffs

The Wayland varsity girls lacrosse team had a successful season ending with a 16 win and four loss record. On Monday June 5, the Warriors hosted Whitman-Hanson Regional for the round of 32 of the MIAA Division II playoffs. The Warriors ended up coming away with the game 18-6.

In the first two minutes, senior captain Cat Taxiarchis scored the first goal of the game, giving Wayland the advantage. Taxiarchis continued by scoring again only two minutes later. Wayland’s offense dominated the field, and only allowed Whitman-Hanson’s offense to get ahold of the ball a handful of times.

Almost halfway through the half, sophomore Jillian Mele was fouled and given a free position, which means she was given space so she could shoot, pass or run with the ball. She was unable to make it to the goal, but Wayland was quickly able to battle back for the ball. Sophomore Jane Tardif charged and was able to score, making it a 3-1 game.

Still in the first half, Mele rushed up field with defenders all around her. She rolled around one on her left side and was able to score during the spin move. By the end of the first half, Wayland was already ahead 9-4.

In the second half, Tardif was given a free position after being fouled next to the goal. Whitman-Hanson’s goalie was able to dive on the ground to block the shot, but it ricocheted off her stick and Mele was able to retrieve it. Mele passed it to Taxiarchis who found herself swarmed with defenders. Whitman-Hanson marched down the field, but Wayland’s goalie, senior captain Jessie Feist, was able to block it and get the ball back to the Wayland offense.

Feist passed the ball halfway down the field to senior captain Deirdre Brown. Brown charged but was unable to find an opening to score. Brown, Mele, junior Lily Mele, Taxiarchis and the offense passed the ball between them multiple times before J. Mele rushed the goal. She missed but was fouled, giving her another chance.

Almost halfway through the second half, the score was 11-4 with Wayland in the lead. Wayland’s offense was stationed in a U-shape around the goal, Whitman-Hanson defenders between them and the goal, and passed the ball between each other. Taxiarchis received the ball and quickly charged the goal, bringing Wayland’s score to 12.

As the game progressed Wayland kept tight defense and did not allow Whitman-Hanson to get more than six goals. Feist was able to have multiple saves, and the Wayland offense dominated the game.

The final score of the game was Brown, bringing Wayland’s score to 18 with only 2:45 left on the clock.

Wayland proceeded to move on to the round of 16 playoffs against the Billerica Memorial High School. The game was played on Wednesday June 7, at home, and they also won that game, meaning they will move on to the round of eight. The round of eight will be played Sunday June 11, against Scituate High School.