A call to action: Wayland community safety meeting

WSPN%E2%80%99s+Aimee+Smith+summarizes+what+the+Wayland+Police+Department+and+the+Human+Rights%2C+Diversity%2C+Equity+and+Inclusion+Committee+discussed+at+the+Wayland+community+safety+meeting+on+Sunday%2C+Sept.+17.+The+meeting+went+over+topics+such+as%2C+general+safety+tips%2C+Wayland+crime+statistics%2C+CodeRED+system+and+recent+breaking+and+entering+in+the+Middlesex+Community.+
Credit: Aimee Smith
WSPN’s Aimee Smith summarizes what the Wayland Police Department and the Human Rights, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee discussed at the Wayland community safety meeting on Sunday, Sept. 17. The meeting went over topics such as, general safety tips, Wayland crime statistics, CodeRED system and recent breaking and entering in the Middlesex Community.

On Sunday, Sept. 17, the Wayland Police Department and the Human Rights, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee held a meeting to discuss some general safety advice and concerns regarding the recent uptick in breaking and entering crimes in Middlesex County. Acting Wayland Police Chief Ed Burman led the discussion in the Wayland High School auditorium.

CodeRED System:

The CodeRED System is a community system that alerts the public to any ongoing safety risks, which include weather warnings and other location-based messages. According to Burman, Wayland joined the CodeRED System 15 months ago, and residents can sign up to receive alerts for Wayland through the Wayland Police Department’s website.

Once a resident has signed up with their phone and email address, CodeRED functions as a “reverse 911.” The system allows the police to send alerts to citizens about any ongoing issues in Wayland and allows them to target specific streets with messages.

The CodeRED system is meant to ensure public safety no matter the location. Burman claims that 75% of communities nationwide utilize the CodeRED system to send alerts to anyone who’s phone signal is in the area.

“Last summer when I was in Atlanta, [Georgia], the police triggered an alert because there was an active shooter that was in my area,” Burman said. “[CodeRED] is just a great way to stay safe.”

Breaking and enterings:

Recently, Middlesex County has been experiencing an uptick in breaking and entering, specifically targeting Asian Americans. While this hasn’t occurred in Wayland, Weston has experienced up to six of these burglaries in the past year, according to their police department.

In most of the breaking and entering cases, the suspect broke in through a second floor window while the homeowners were away, without triggering any first floor alarms. Burman advises residents to move any cash or jewelry they have in their houses into a bank for safe keeping.

According to Middlesex County District Attorney Pavan Nagavelli, there will be another public safety meeting held at the Sudbury Public Library on Sept. 27 to advise the targeted communities on preventative safety measures.

General home safety:

Burman discussed certain safety measures people should have at their house. First, he suggested that people update their alarm systems, so police will be the first contact when triggered. Burman also recommended that people keep motion sensored cameras on at all times and to tell at least one neighbor when leaving on vacation.

Additionally, Burman addressed Wayland’s laws surrounding solicitors. Solicitors have to be approved by the Wayland Police Department before they can go door to door. If approved, the solicitors are required to wear an ID around their necks with a picture of them and the Wayland Police Department’s logo. Burman advises residents to call the police if a solicitor comes to their house without the proper identification.

Finally, the meeting covered what to do when pulled over by a police officer. Burman suggested rolling down the window, keeping their hands on the steering wheel and having their license and registration easily accessible. Wayland police officers are required to have their body and dash cams on as soon as they trigger the lights on top of their car. This means that someone would be able to make a public records request with Burman to access the video if they were pulled over.

If concerned that someone is impersonating a police officer, Burman recommends slowing down your car and calling 911. Once someone calls 911, they should ask the dispatcher if the vehicle behind them is a police officer. The dispatcher will contact officers in the area to confirm their identities.

Wayland crime statistics:

According to Burman, in July and August, there were three cars stolen. However, all of them were left unlocked with their keys inside.

Burman states that the Wayland police mostly summons and arrests people for traffic offenses. He says that seven out of the eight arrests made in July and August were for operating under the influence (OUI).

Burman advises residents to call the police whenever they feel unsafe. If they don’t want to call 911, they can contact the Wayland police’s business line at (508)-358-4721.