Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet: An unexpected duo

Join+WSPNs+Elyssa+Grillo+as+she+discusses+the+pushback+on+Kylie+Jenner+and+Timoth%C3%A9e+Chalamets+new+relationship.+
Credit: Elyssa Grillo
Join WSPN’s Elyssa Grillo as she discusses the pushback on Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet’s new relationship.

Rumors surrounding the relationship between reality TV star and model Kylie Jenner and actor Timothée Chalamet took over the internet in April 2023. Some fans assumed that the two were never friends before their reported meeting at the Jean Paul Gaultier fashion show in Paris Couture Week, so these fans were shocked to hear they were reportedly spending time together away from the events and cameras. Jenner’s car was first spotted outside Chalamet’s house on April 13, and even though neither star was seen, the photo still caused an uproar among fans. There was no statement from Jenner or Chalamet, leaving everyone wondering whether it was just a fling or the beginning of a serious, but private, relationship.

Right off the bat, fans responded to the dating speculations with anger, confusion and curiosity. Within days of the images of Jenner’s car outside of Chalamet’s house, some fans responded with devastation all over social media. One common TikTok showed pictures of Chalamet and Jenner with the caption “THE RUMORS CAN’T BE TRUE” and a screaming sound over the video. It blew some people’s minds that the stars could like each other. Although some of the biggest names date within the same industry, Jenner and Chalamet are from completely opposite sides of the celebrity spectrum. Chalamet was a theater kid who started out in Hollywood with small coming of age films that became bigger projects over time. Jenner, on the other hand, grew up in front of the camera on reality television, and as she got older, pursued modeling and business. So, how did the two hit it off so quickly while appearing so different to the media?

News outlets, like Entertainment Tonight and U.S. Weekly, reported that Jenner and Chalamet had plans to keep their relationship casual and quiet for quite some time. From small get togethers at each other’s houses, to huge events like Coachella, the couple did just that. Inside sources described Chalamet as different, but charming and easy for Jenner to talk to, while the sources on Chalamet’s side described his love for her confidence and work ethic. Nothing seemed to be changing about the situation and, like any internet-breaking news that doesn’t progress, some viewers lost interest.

However, this stagnant period in the coverage of their relationship didn’t last long. In the beginning of August, news outlets announced that the shocking romance had come to a close. Although Jenner claimed that the two lost opportunities to spend time together due to their busy schedules, rumors popped up that Kylie got dumped and Chalamet was using her for publicity.

We have no way of knowing what really happened in early August, but if it was a break up, the couple clearly made up in time to attend the Beyoncé Concert on Sept. 4. Yet again, social media exploded with a multitude of opinions about the photos of Chalamet and Jenner at Beyoncé’s birthday concert. Now used to the idea of these celebrities being together, most viewers reacted to the public display of affection (PDA) and unapologetic publicity that had never been seen before from this relationship with disgust, joy and even jokes about Chalamet looking like Jenner’s dogs. Although news outlets were able to get a hold of some photos and inside sources, neither Jenner nor Chalamet had actually confirmed their romance until they were seen chatting and hugging each other during Beyoncé’s performance. Now, spotting the couple is not a challenge for the paparazzi, as Chalamet and Jenner have been seen at a NYFW dinner and a U.S. Open match on Sept. 9 and 10, only days after their original public debut.

Despite the confirmation of Jenner and Chalamet’s relationship, the publicity around the announcement seemed to have taken a lighter turn. The internet seems to be finally warming up to their romance, and the debate over the compatibility of the two has become more positive. Some fans looked back at the star’s past relationships, and made a connection. In the analysis of Chalamet’s “type,” a tiktoker noticed that almost every girl he has dated has been a model and “nepo-baby,” a celebrity born into fame because of their parents, just like Jenner. In this way, Jenner shut down any accusation that she “isn’t right” for Chalamet, even if their styles and work fields are different. A dive into Jenner’s type reveals that she has dated mostly rappers, including the father of her two children, Travis Scott.

Now, whether people around the world support the relationship and Jenner leaving Travis Scott or not, the two seem happy together. Jenner’s followers noticed a switch in her Instagram content and style which is theorized to be due to Chalamet’s influence over the summer. Could this affect other aspects of her life as well if the relationship continues? Despite the mixed response from each star’s followers, the couple remains unbothered as they continue their relationship publicly, and this romance doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.