BMX athletes push the limit

On Friday, Oct. 6, the No Hate Tour performed at Wayland High School. The tour came to WHS to promote positive thinking, kindness, bullying prevention and mental health awareness. The athletes performed tricks while the MC, Dan Sieg, hyped up the crowd and gave insight as to what the athletes’ passions were.

In the beginning, students did not know what to expect, but as soon as the BMX athletes started their show, many of them were immediately hooked. Many of the tricks the athletes did blew the crowd away. Each of the athletes have different stories and backgrounds, so seeing them come together over one common passion helped to make the audience even more intrigued and excited for what was to come.

Throughout the show, Sieg talked about the challenges that the athletes faced as young kids and how they overcame them, emphasizing that BMX helped them get through those challenges. This was intended to show the students that following your passions can help you through tough times, even if it feels difficult. The athletes also tried to convey the message that students are not alone if they are going through tough times. Even when the athletes weren’t performing tricks and flips, they were fully engaged.

The main point that Sieg and the athletes were trying to make is that even when life gets tough, it’s important to focus on the things that bring you joy and think about how accomplished and successful you’ll feel when you achieve your goals.

Towards the end of the show, BMX athlete Zach Newman performed a backflip with his bike over WHS principal Allyson Mizoguchi. This trick sent the audience screaming, and was also nerve wracking to some. The way that the show ended was thrilling, and they hoped students were able to walk away from the event with a newfound interest in finding what they’re passionate about, following it and reaching their goals in life.

To read more and see photos from the event, scroll through the story below.