“Frozen:” Blockbuster movie secures its 10th anniversary

Credit: Olivia Green
Join WSPN’s Olivia Green as she discusses the 10th anniversary of Disney’s “Frozen.”

10 years ago, some Disney fans were in shock as a movie took the nation by storm. Thousands of factories made dolls, LEGO’s, action figures and costumes of one of the most famous sister duos of all time. That’s right–Anna and Elsa from the movie “Frozen,” the movie that shaped many Gen Z children’s childhoods, was officially released 10 years ago. With musical hits such as “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” “For the First Time in Forever,” “Love Is an Open Door” and “In Summer,” viewers fell in love with the soundtrack of this movie. And, of course, the smash hit “Let It Go,” sung by Idina Menzel, which amassed over 800 million streams.

This heartwarming (no pun intended) film follows princess Anna and her comrades Kristoff, Olaf and Sven as they venture into the mountains in search of Anna’s sister, newly crowned Queen Elsa. Born with icy powers, Elsa grapples with her identity and, in her struggle, she puts a freezing curse on the city of Arendelle. “Frozen” is a refreshing break from the constant love stories Disney usually produces, and it provides a new outlook on the deep connection that sisters share. Don’t get me wrong everyone loves a good love story, but it’s nice to see a movie with the core idea that friendship and familial bonding are the key to happiness.

Even from the beginning of the movie, it’s revealed that the sisters have an extremely close bond. Isolated in a castle, they have nobody but each other to spend their days with. After a tragic accident where Elsa strikes Anna in the heart with a blast of ice, Anna must lose all memory of Elsa’s magic. Years later, during Elsa’s coronation, Anna rips off her glove, revealing Elsa’s magical powers to the public. Elsa dashes out of the castle, outrunning Anna and fleeing to the mountains. Through Anna’s journey to find her sister, she learns the meaning of friendship and sisterhood. Meanwhile, in her extreme isolation, Elsa comes to terms with herself and realizes the true importance of her relationships– especially with her sister.

By releasing a movie such as this, Disney opened the doors to many more blockbusters to come, including “Moana,” “Big Hero 6” and “Encanto,” all of which are not centered around a love story. In doing this, they also catered to a larger audience of people who, previously uninterested in typical princess stories, were now intrigued by the unique and creative storylines being introduced. Both Anna and Elsa represent strong and unconventional female leads. This was fairly new to Disney at the time, following the release of “Brave” in 2012, featuring one of the first nonconforming female characters in Disney history.

“I thought it was really different than a lot of other Disney movies, and I thought it was really cool to see an independent female role model,” freshman Annabelle Hage said.

Using strategic tools and metaphors, the writers develop this fantastical storyline. Furthermore, the intricate animation, down to the last snowflake, shocked viewers when they first laid eyes on this movie. It’s definitely possible to analyze “Frozen” down to every frame, but for now, it’s more important to focus on the main plot.

It’s also very important to note the extreme influence “Frozen” had on young children at the time it was released, especially sisters who saw themselves in the personalities of Elsa and Anna. The movie proved to be an effective bonding experience for many sisters, creating a shared connection between them.

“It brought us together because it was [about] sisters and then we would [pretend to] be the sisters,” seventh grade student Lily Rose Hage said. “We even learned all [of] the lyrics.”

Moreover, many people purchased “Frozen” products, including dolls, building sets and costumes. This contributed to the influence as well, incorporating “Frozen” into children’s everyday lives.

All in all, “Frozen” has proven itself to be an extremely popular and influential movie with a central theme that both shocked and intrigued audiences all over the world. The entertainment will continue with the possible release of “Frozen 3” in 2027. This movie has been highly anticipated, with fans creating theories and predictions about what will happen. Some expect that Hans will return as a villain in the movie, while others think it may have to do with Anna’s children. Either way, “Frozen 3” is expected to be an amazing addition to the Disney universe.

$210
$1500