Fun games to play on New Years Eve

Credit: Maggie Buffum
Join Staff Reporter Maggie Buffum as she discusses games to play with friends and family during New Year’s Eve.

New Year’s Eve is a widely celebrated holiday around the world, including the ball dropping event in Times Square, New York. Some people celebrate the coming of a new year,  but not everyone likes hosting celebrations or going to parties. Some people like to stay in, play games and eat food. If you are one of these people, here are some fun game ideas for what to do on New Year’s Eve.

Charades:

This game can be played with a wide range of people, from two to over 20. This game starts off with two groups. One person will pick a word out of a hat or make one up, and then they will start acting out this word for their group to guess. One twist to the game is that you cannot speak, write words or use numbers. While the group is guessing, the other team will also try to figure out the word, but they won’t say it out loud. If the guessing team doesn’t get it in a certain amount of time, the other team has 10 seconds to guess it.

Guess That Song:

You do not need any items for this game other than something that can play music, like a phone or an iPad. You can pull out a phone with any music app and figure out songs to use. This game will consist of a certain number of teams with the goal of getting the most possible points, and whichever team can guess the most songs correctly wins. There will be one judge who will be playing the songs. One person from each team will step up and the judge will start the first five seconds of the song. If a player can guess which song is playing, then they will get the point, but if no one can guess it, it will move on to 10 seconds of the song, then 15, 20 and so on until someone gets the song.

Headbands:

This is a game that you can buy on Amazon, or you can make your own version. To make your own, you just need paper, a pencil and two teams, or you can play a one-person team. To play this game, you will write a word on a piece of paper and tape it to the other person’s head. This word can be anything from an animal to a TV show. The person with the paper taped to their head will start asking yes or no questions, and either your teammate or another person around will say yes or no to these questions. If the person with the paper can get it by a certain time of your choosing, they will get a point. If not, they won’t get a point and it’ll be another team or another person’s turn.

Other fun card games to buy on Amazon:

Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza
Splurt
Exploding Kittens
UNO
The Worst-Case Scenario
Taco vs Burrito
Left Center Right
Anomia
Poetry for Neanderthals
Unstable Unicorns
Throw Throw Burrito