Moulin Rouge: A dazzling spectacle

Credit: Kally Proctor
Join WSPN’s Kally Proctor as she reviews Broadway musical “Moulin Rouge.” The show played at the Citizens Bank Opera House in Boston for three weeks from Jan. 16 to Feb. 4.

Warning: this review contains spoilers for the musical “Moulin Rouge.”

If you expected the hit Broadway play “Moulin Rouge,” which closed in Boston on Sunday, Feb. 4 after three weeks, to feature a dramatic “boy meets girl” love story, you wouldn’t be disappointed. If you expected a lot of scantily clad performers, you’d also be right. And while you may have expected the dazzling lights and shows of the Moulin Rouge, you may not have expected the jarring switches between those sequences and the much quieter pastoral scenes of France at the turn of the 20th century.

“Moulin Rouge” is inspired by the real-life Moulin Rouge cabaret in Paris. Set in 1899, the musical follows the story of a young Englishman named Christian and a French cabaret singer named Satine, whom Christian falls in love with. Going into the musical with this in mind, I expected a glamorous, perhaps somewhat old-fashioned, show. But what I saw far surpassed my expectations.

The setting was the first thing I noticed. Entering the opera house, neon lights illuminated the stage and lace drapes decorated with the fleur-de-lis symbol formed the backdrop, highlighting the glamorous nature of the Moulin Rouge. A number of settings, ranging from a plush velvet dressing room to a quiet Parisian street, were interchanged throughout the play in order to fully immerse the audience in the story.

The costumes also accentuated this environment, as the actors alternatively sported “Fin de Siècle” French fashion, Bohemian styles and, of course, the glittering performative outfits of the entertainers at the Moulin Rouge. These flashy, somewhat ostentatious costumes were consistent with the glitzy and over-the-top theme of the musical.

Of course, like most musicals, the soundtrack was a defining part of the experience. The biggest shock was the style of the musical numbers. Coming into the play, I hadn’t expected a medley-style soundtrack composed mainly of pop songs from the 1980s to the 2010s, including big hits like “Toxic” by Brittany Spears, “Single Ladies” by Beyoncé and “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga. While this interspersing of songs did occasionally daze the audience, especially when easily recognizable pop songs were used in otherwise serious scenes, the environment that these songs created was generally fun, and many members of the audience enjoyed singing along and clapping to tunes that they recognized.

Looking back on the experience, “Moulin Rouge” was certainly a dazzling spectacle. Overall, a combination of the elaborate setting and costumes, interesting storyline and fun musical numbers made “Moulin Rouge” a great experience. I think this show is worth checking out, and I would absolutely recommend seeing the musical if you get the chance.