The fanfare for Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department”

Credit: Sophia Verma
WSPN’s Sophia Verma interviews four Taylor Swift fans about their thoughts, feelings and opinions on Swift’s upcoming album “The Tortured Poets Department,” which will be released on April 19. “The vibes are very classical and mysterious, almost spooky,” sophomore Erica Wilson said. “Based on the names of the tracks it sounds like she will be reminiscing on a past relationship. This album is going to be a hit for everyone.”

Following the massive success of her 2022 album “Midnights,” pop sensation Taylor Swift is set to release her unanticipated new studio album, “The Tortured Poets Department,” on April 19. After experimenting with a wide span of genres and winning lots of awards, Swift’s loyal fanbase is eager to see what the versatile songwriter has next in store.

Known for singing about her life experiences and showing off different chapters of her life, “The Tortured Poets Department” seems like it will deliver a set of new emotions and anthems. With almost two decades of Swift challenging expectations and breaking numerous records, her fans known as Swifties, eagerly await the release of this new album.

“I am so incredibly overjoyed and excited for this upcoming album release,” sophomore Erica Wilson said. “Taylor is a creative writing genius and I have no doubt this album will be just as amazing as her other ones.”

Many fans tend to find ways to celebrate the release of a Swift album, whether it be listening with friends or holding elaborate release parties. However, with this new album, there are some mixed feelings about the expectations for it and how it will do in comparison to some of her past works.

“I’m actually pretty nervous for this new album,” senior Lulu Comettant said. “I hope it takes more of a ‘folklore’ or ‘evermore’ style because I think she did her best work on those albums [but] I’m nervous that it will fall short of the expectations she’s put on this album and that it will take a more classic celebrity poetry direction which I think is usually just cash grabs and pretty meaningless.”

Having mixed feelings about any album that Swift announces is normal for some fans and is what makes the release process something to look forward to. Before Swift puts out the tracklist for her upcoming albums, some fans tend to have hopes or guesses about what artists will be featured on her work.

“I feel like I would want her to work with some people who have the same style of music as her,” sophomore Ellen Reardon said. “So maybe Olivia Rodrigo or someone like that, but I also do like her solo work.”

Speculating about collaborators whenever Swift announces a new project is something that some fans are enthusiastic about. Some swifties also like to talk about Swift’s re-recording process, which is why some fans thought that she was going to announce her fifth re-recording, ‘reputation (Taylor’s Version),’ at the Grammys. Swift introducing “The Tortured Poets Department” instead was very unexpected, and left some fans wondering why she didn’t announce the re-recording, despite many hints pointing towards it.

“I think that fans got too complacent in predicting her next move,” junior Swara Metlapally said. “She’s keeping us on our toes now.”

On top of speculating when Swift’s next re-recording will be announced and released, some fans also hope that Swift’s 11th album will further demonstrate her artistic and musical growth and maturation over her career thus far.

“I hope that this album shows how much Taylor has grown as a lyricist,” Comettant said. “One thing about her music that is super impressive is how intentional and smart some of her lyrics are. I hope this album shows her power with words.”