What to expect from upcoming 2024 TV shows and movies

Credit: Annika Martins
Join WSPN’s Annika Martins in a review of the upcoming TV shows and movies in 2024.

Warning: this article contains spoilers for numerous upcoming TV shows and movies. 

Join WSPN’s Annika Martins as she reviews some upcoming TV shows and movies to be released in 2024.

Movies:

“Despicable Me 4”

Release date: July 3

Leads: Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Dana Gaier, Miranda Cosgrove

Synopsis: Everyone welcomes the new small member of the family, Gru Jr., who is Gru and Lucy’s new baby boy. But, since villain Max Superball escapes from prison and is planting revenge on Gru, the family’s safety is in danger. Gru, his minions and the rest of the family must head to their safe house where they will create a plan for a heist into Superball’s lair.

“Imaginary”

Release date: March 8

Leads: Betty Buckley, DeWanda Wise, Taegen Burns, Matthew Sato

Synopsis: This is a horror film from the producers of “M3gan,” “Five Nights at Freddy’s,” “The Invisible Man” and “The Black Phone.” This film takes the perspective of a little girl who found a stuffed animal teddy bear in a new house that her family just moved into. Little does she know, the bear has control over her and is making her see things differently than they appear in real life. This story takes you on a journey to see if her family can intervene before it’s too late.

“Venom 3: Along Came A Spider”

Release date: Nov. 8

Leads: Tom Hardy, Juno Temple, Chiwetel Ejiofor

Synopsis: This is the third installment of the “Venom” film series produced by Columbia Pictures. There isn’t much released about the plot yet, but it is confirmed that Venom will be crossing paths with Marvel superhero Spider-Man, played by British actor Tom Holland.

“It Ends With Us”

Release date: June 21

Leads: Christian Slater, Dylan Bruce, Hunter Dillon

Synopsis: This movie is based on the global best-selling novel “It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover, which tells a story of a girl named Lily Bloom who comes from an abusive household as a child. This story shows how she finds her way through life while dealing with moments from her past, mixed in with two romantic relationships that somehow become intertwined.

TV Shows:

Season three of “Bridgerton”

Release date: May 16

Leads: Adjoa Andoh, Claudia Jessie, Luke Newton, Golda Rosheuvel, Nicola Coughlan, Phoebe Dynevor, Julie Andrews

Synopsis: In this season, Colin Bridgerton, the third Bridgerton son, offers to be Penelope Featherington’s mentor as she finds herself a husband. Penelope must encounter obstacles that get in the way of finding her first true love. Colin has to figure out and ask himself if he has real romantic feelings for Penelope, or if his feelings are truly platonic.

“The Spiderwick Chronicles”

Release date: April 19

Synopsis: Based on the children’s fantasy books by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black, “The Spiderwick Chronicles” tells a story about a kid named Jared and his imagination that creates magical creatures around him. He later finds out that his father kept a journal with descriptive details about each creature, proving that they’re real. The only issue for him is that not all of their intentions are good, so it’s up to Jared to ensure that his new friends are kept safe from the dangerous ogre, Mulgarath.

“Knuckles”

Release date: April 26

Leads: Adam Pally, Colleen O’Shaughnessey, Kid Cudi, Idris Elba

Synopsis: This movie is a continuation of the story of one of the main characters, Knuckles the Echidna, and is based on the hit movie “Sonic the Hedgehog” released in 2020 and the video game series released in 1991. This show targets a younger audience and shows the difficulties Knuckles encompasses while trying to save and protect everyone from the dangers of villains he encounters.

“Squid Game Season two”

Release date: Not yet known

Leads: Lee Jung-jae, Yim Si Wan, Park Gyu-young

Synopsis: Season two follows the same main character, Seong Gi-Hun, from the first season who appears to have a severe gambling problem. After getting out of the Squid Games alive in the first season, Gi-Hun is determined to find the face behind the titular Squid Game and take them down.