“The beginning of the end:” Class of 2024 launches Senior Spring with annual Senior Show

Credit: Sasha Libenzon
Seniors Jahcari Williamson (left), Tina Su (middle) and Michelle Yee (right) act as students during the Senior Show skit “Covid Kids.” The annual Senior Show marks the start of seniors’ last season at Wayland High School. “I watched this show for years and I never knew how much work it was, but I’m very excited for how it all came together because it marks the beginning of the end of our year,” Class of 2024 president Andrew Medeiros said.

The annual Senior Show is a yearly event where members of the senior class at Wayland High School put their heads together to create a show spotlighting all of the humor that makes their class unique. The show marks the beginning of Senior Spring for the Class of 2024. The Class of 2024 preformed its first show on March 15 and will preform its second and final show on March 16 in the Wayland High School auditorium at 7 p.m..

The conceptualizing and organizing of the show began in early February, and resulted in the form of 16 skits and dances. Similar to other senior class events, the Class of 2024 student government members were responsible for kicking off the project.

“The hardest part was casting people in roles because we had to make sure people worked well together and were satisfied with their role,” Class of 2024 President Andrew Medeiros said. “We did our best to put everybody into a role that they wanted to be in.”

Seniors rehearse the co-ed dance, which begins with a few students standing up. Senior class president Andrew Medeiros (right) is one of the first to stand. “The most fun moments were probably the practices because everybody was together and watching [everything] come together was really fun to see.” Medeiros said. (Credit: Penelope Biddle)
Once students learned what their roles were, they began to memorize their lines and practice for the show. The week leading up to the show, the seniors involved in the show spent around three hours each day after school practicing the performance.

“I think there’s just a lot of dedication,” senior Sierra Dale said. “You have to show up for your rehearsals and for your skits for it to actually work and to pull it together.”

Because Dale is a director of WHS acapella group “The Madrigals,” she is featured in an acapella skit. However, she is not the only senior whose talents are a part of the show. The Senior Show directors decided to draw upon some seniors’ skills and featured them in the show. According to Medeiros, this spectrum of skills brought together some seniors who have not gotten the chance to get to know each other outside of a classroom setting yet.

“Senior events like this help bring the class together because everyone is working together with the same goal in mind of putting on a good show,” senior Zack Goldstein said. “I have also worked with a lot of people who I normally don’t interact with, which has helped me, and everyone, create better relationships.”

Seniors prepare for the Senior Show by running through the co-ed dance. “I think [Senior Show] really brings the class together,” senior Luke Pyhtila said. “With the work that you go through, the time you spend together, [the show] really brings everyone together.”
According to Goldstein, the relationships that he formed through collaborating on the show with fellow seniors gave him a sense of closure on his high school experience.

“Reaching this milestone is bittersweet for me, because it means I am almost near the end of my high school career, but also near the start of college,” Goldstein said. “I think it makes me want to appreciate these last few months more because there are going to be more fun senior events that further bring the class together.”

Goldstein is not alone in his focus on fun for Senior Spring. For Medeiros, the goal of the Senior Show is to put smiles on faces, not just those of seniors, but of everyone who comes to the performances.

“When I look back on this event in 10 years, I hope that people laugh,” Medeiros said. “Like genuinely, it would be really sad if they didn’t, so I hope that people enjoy the show.”