ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

News Brief: Monday’s solar eclipse may cause sports cancellations

Credit: Alyssa Ao

On Friday, April 5, the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) issued an advisory warning to all school sports teams in the state, urging them against holding games and practices during Monday’s solar eclipse.

The MIAA stated that outdoor activity during the eclipse could lead to “inadvertent exposure” to harmful ultraviolet light (UV) that could be harmful to athletes.

Currently, some districts in the state have canceled practices and games that were set to take place during the eclipse. As of Friday, April 5, officials in Wayland have not released a decision regarding whether sports practices and games will take place during Monday’s eclipse.

“I’m a little worried [about playing during the eclipse], because players are going to have to look up to serve,” junior and varsity tennis player Arya Samaratunga said. “But I’m not that concerned, because it shouldn’t last too long.”