On Monday, June 10, the annual Underclassmen Awards ceremony took place inside of WHSs auditorium.

I think that these awards bring motivation to [WHS] students to preform well academically, Sophomore Rufat Hasanov said.
WHS hosts the annual Underclassman Awards ceremony
June 15, 2024

WSPN goes Clubbing: Badminton Club

Credit: Courtesy of Annabelle Zhang
In the 14th edition of WSPN goes clubbing, WSPN’s Annika Martins and Jenny Shine interview senior Badminton Club leader Annabelle Zhang.

What is the Badminton Club?

“Badminton Club is a pretty small get-together for anyone who is interested in the sport,” Zhang said. “We supply all the equipment that’s needed, and there are courts at the school which are helpful. So if anyone’s interested in playing, they can come and give it a shot or come regularly if they want to play more.”

How did this club begin?

“The club began because I have a lot of friends in other towns and they had badminton clubs that were pretty big, so I thought we should start one at Wayland,” Zhang said. “When I was a junior, I reached out to Mr. Gass and learned that at the time, two seniors were already working on creating the club. I kind of joined up with them and the three of us worked together to get the club started.”

Why should students join the Club?

“Someone should join because they want to play the sport or you want to try something new,” Zhang said. “There’s a lot of different reasons you could want to give it a shot.”

What are meetings like and how often are they?

“Meetings are weekly on Tuesday mornings in the field house,” Zhang said. “Since it is in the morning, it can be harder for most people to come, which is unfortunate, but meetings are usually if we have enough people and everyone plays on our little net.”

What is one goal that you have for the club this year?

“We have the high school badminton tournament in Massachusetts, coming up soon,” Zhang said. “We were sorted into division one, and I think we have a good shot of winning this year. So that is definitely a goal I have.”