ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024s graduation, volleyball state championship and Junes Fashionista of the Month
ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024's graduation, volleyball state championship and June's Fashionista of the Month
June 17, 2024

News Brief: Kids night held at the field house

On Friday, May 17, the Sophomore class Eboard hosted a Kids Night for children K-6 in the Wayland High School field house. Kids gathered around a projector in the wrestling room with snacks and yoga mats to enjoy a movie.

The Class of 2026 student executive board hosted a kids night that took place in WHS’ field house from 5:30 p.m. to 9p.m. on Friday, May 17. Parents scanned a QR code to register children in kindergarten through sixth grade, prepaying $20 per kid in addition to $5 for a slice of pizza. The event also gave anyone who volunteered four additional hours of community service.

There were 20 student volunteers who helped run the event, creating a fun and safe environment for the children. The event was a fundraiser for the Class of 2026’s junior prom.

“We wanted to create a night for kids to have away from their parents where they could just have fun,” Executive Board Representative Kate Goodman said. “When we were brainstorming fundraising ideas, someone from the club Make Our School Safe, suggested we try to host it and we made it happen.”

There was a variety of activities for the kids to do for the duration of the event. The nice weather made it possible to enjoy outside games on the turf. Some kids played kickball and frisbee outside on the fields while others participated in basketball, board games, face painting, arts and crafts and a movie indoors. In the field house, tables were pushed together where children were creating art by using markers, putting on tattoos and getting their faces painted with designs that they requested.

“There were 36 kids that showed up,” Executive Board Representative Sofia DiCarlo said. “They seemed to be having a great time participating in all of the activities that were set up.”