Alliance Club leads walk out against “Don’t Say Gay” bill

Wayland+High+School+students+walk+out+in+protest+of+the+Dont+Say+Gay+bill+that+recently+passed+in+Florida.+This+walk+out+happened+across+the+nation+on+Thursday%2C+March+3.+

Credit: Hallie Luo

Wayland High School students walk out in protest of the “Don’t Say Gay” bill that recently passed in Florida. This walk out happened across the nation on Thursday, March 3.

Tina Su and Hallie Luo

On Thursday, March 3, a group of students organized and took part in a walk out at Wayland High School. This walk out protested the new Florida “Don’t Say Gay” bill that passed on Feb. 24. This bill would not permit teachers to talk about specific LGBTQ+ topics that were deemed “age-inappropriate or developmentally inappropriate” to elementary school students.

The students began walking outside at noon and stayed outside for approximately 15 minutes. Several of them wore rainbow attire and held up pride flags in support.

Teachers and administrators showed their support by listening to the students’ message.

“No matter your sexuality or gender your voice deserves to be heard, and you deserve to be seen,” an anonymous student who walked out said.

One of the walk out student leaders initiated a moment of silence for the LGBTQ+ community in Florida. Afterwards, they gave a speech as another student handed out pride flag stickers.

“This protest is a lot of people standing against the bill in Florida called the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill and say ‘hey, this isn’t okay’” Alliance Club advisor Kassie Wright said. “Alliance is all student-led, and we were just here to support and be there for our students.”