Honoring Ms. Patricia Gavett

What was the most memorable moment during your tenure at Wayland High School?

All of my students’ successes are memorable moments for me, but one student who had a very serious mental illness fought her way through graduation from WHS, and then went on to graduate from college, marry and have a child. The fact that she went to hell and back, survived and is now healthy is just overwhelming. To think that I was a part of that is so gratifying.

In what direction should Wayland High School proceed in the future?

I would like to see Wayland expand its technology and variety of programs for students. More options lead to more successes.

What makes you happy during a typical day at WHS?

When I can laugh with my students, when someone runs in to report a good grade, and the satisfaction of those last minute papers being complete – the smile on those students’ faces. Oh yes, when someone brings me coffee from Starbucks during a rough day!

If you were to mention a specific person from WHS who you will never forget, who would it be?

There are so many, especially students that I would hate to leave anyone out, but I think the person who I’ll remember the most was Vice Principal Larry Hines. Mr. Hines interviewed me for my job here and helped me adjust to WHS. He was such a great guy — easy to talk to and always helped me out. Even though he was only here for 2 years of my tenure, he made a great impact on my teaching time at WHS.

Do you mind sharing the hardest moment at WHS?

There have been many hard moments for me at WHS. They all surround students. There were so many heart-breaking moments. Students that were paralyzed with anxiety, depression and just were plain miserable some days and there was nothing I could do to give them any comfort or relief. It is so hard to watch someone when they are at their lowest, struggling just to put one foot in front of the other.

You have established the ALRT and the Academic Center, which countless students benefit from everyday. What are you most proud of among the many contributions that you have made to our community?

I am proud of both of the programs that I have created and watched flourish. I am also proud of the fact I think I have been able to help more students, parents and staff by educating them about mental illness and how to deal with it.

Students are so grateful for your help in academics, guidance in general, and just being a wonderful person to have a conversation with. Do you have any advice you want to give students?

Please, be happy. Life is more than grades and colleges; it is about family, friends and a world of experiences. Be thankful for what you have and share it with the world, you will make it a richer place.

Are there any final thoughts that you want to share with the Wayland community?

I would just like to thank the staff, students and Wayland community for all of their support during all of these years, and hopefully people will keep in touch and let me know all of the wonderful things they are doing.

Hey Trish,
Thanks for all your efforts with my students who’ve needed a little extra help. Maine sounds very peaceful to me. Hope you get there soon….
Best of everything,

– From Ron Stevens

Dear Trish,
Whether with ALRT or the Academic Center, it has always been special for Media Services to team up with you. Throughout the years you have taught that nobody should fall through the cracks. Just get it done.

– From Joe Damplo

Trish, your kindness, sensitivity and love shown to all will be sorely missed. You have touched my heart in so many ways. May the road always rise to meet you!

– From Mary Brown

Trish Gavett – The tough love diva of WHS. She has always gone the extra mile (sometimes on a horse) to make sure that “her kids” succeed. She is one of a kind. We will miss her.

– From Pam Miller

Ms. Gavett:
It is rare that we come in contact with a person like Ms. Gavett. She has too many wonderful qualities to list in this short space. I’ll highlight the quality with which everyone is familiar: Ms. Gavett in committed to facilitating success for ALL students. She is in many ways the Academic Center “Mom” who is loved by all. Ms. Gavett will be missed greatly.

– From Patrick Tutwiler

Ms. Gavett is Wonder Woman!
She flies around campus, saves lives, knows when you’re telling the truth, and has the endurance of a superhero. She has inspired many of us to new heights with her energy and passion for kids. We will miss her tremendously!

– From Allyson Mizoguchi

Trish Gavett is simply one of the most talented teachers I have ever seen, period. Her work over the years has often been under the radar, but it is neither unnoticed nor unappreciated. She is an incredible person who has changed many, many kids’ lives and we will sorely miss her.

– From Kevin Delaney

The worth of a school is often measured in the quality of its staff. Mrs. Ezbicki and Ms. Gavett are two wonderful and gifted instructors who have certainly helped establish Wayland’s reputation as an outstanding school district. Their professional efforts and personal commitment to students is, by every measure, exceptional. Just ask any of their hundreds of students!

– From Gary Burton

Trish,
You have made a difference! Happy retirement!

– From Cathy Lynch

“Old Grill” (A short play)

Scene: Standing outside by an old grill setting, ready for the faculty BBQ. Weingartner standing, then walking around a beat up grill, mumbling to himself. Gavett looks on shaking her head.

Weingartner: …sure is an old grill

Gavett: Who you callin’ an old girl?

Weingartner: Grill… ‘you got cotton in yer ears?

Gavett: Eh? Can’t hear ya sonny…

Weingartner: (chuckles) (pause) Hey Trish?

Gavett: Yo…

Weingartner: …you gotta match…?

Gavett: (pulling out her navy seal zippo lighter) I gotta striking resemblance…

Weingartner: Huh?

Gavett: …not since Suprman died…

Weingartner: …what?

Gavett: (stands on the tips of Weingartner’s boots) It’s a gas grill dummy… (exits)

– By Richard Weingartner

$60
$1500