Honoring Mrs. Jane Ezbicki

What was the most memorable moment during your tenure at Wayland High School?

Conducting the HS Symphony Orchestra at Mechanics Hall in Worcester in 2005. But it’s difficult to call that the most memorable, because all of our music and fine arts trips were awesome. Another moment was the 1995 String Jamboree in which the Gr.3-12 strings performed Saint-Saens’ “Carnival of the Animals.”

In what direction should Wayland High School proceed in the future?

New BUILDINGS with more studio, rehearsal and performance spaces, and along with that, more electives in the Fine Arts and a Fine Arts graduation requirement.

What makes you happy during a typical day at WHS?

Conducting orchestra rehearsals and having fun with my colleagues.

If you were to mention a specific person from WHS that you will never forget, who would it be?

Hmm… Richard Conti, the former Fine Arts Director and Choral Director. However, I can’t picture forgetting anybody…Richard, Rachel, Janet, Mike, Joe O., Steve P., David F…

Do you mind sharing the hardest moment at WHS?

The hardest moment has happened every two years when the Prop 2 ½ override vote is about to take place. The months that precede the town vote are filled with tension, anxiety, and second-guessing as to what might happen.

You have established reputable music and arts programs at WHS. You have led the orchestra, Sinfonia, and many other programs that other schools can look up to. What are you most proud of among the many contributions that you have made to our community?

I would say simply keeping the string program healthy and happy, and strong among all other top string programs in the state. Also, trying to keep a good relationship with the community, specifically parents, alumni, and senior citizens.

For more than 30 years at WHS, you have met all kinds of students. You have seen them come and go, then pursue their dreams in society after high school. Do you have any advice you want to give students?

Go to museums and concerts. Enjoy listening and looking and discovering. Play in college groups and community groups. It will always be a “familiar” connection that you will always have. You will discover that the arts are an important part of your life, whether it be for entertainment, spirit and soul, or something to give back to the community around you.

Are there any final thoughts that you want to share with the Wayland community?

The magic formula of this community is amazing for what it can produce in all areas of education—a respect for a well-balanced education that includes the Arts. The “recipe” has the essential ingredients: motivated students, appreciative parents, supportive administrators and school committee, and a greater community that loves the Arts. THANK YOU WAYLAND!

If you were to choose one special piece of music and share it with us, what would it be?

“The Moldau” by Smetana—an orchestral work that describes the flow and journey of a river—from the mountain spring all the way to the ocean—like our lives.

“Standing Post” (A short play)

Scene: During the change of classes underneath the overhang at the fine arts building. Standing post are Weingartner and Ezbicki watching the kids shuffle by. The announcements are heard muffled, lost.

Weingartner: Nice day…

Ezbicki: …True d’at

Weingartner: (pause) Well… I reckon this is the big adios…

Ezbicki: (squints) … y’up… I reckon so…

– By Richard Weingartner

Jane is a Wayland and a Massachusetts State treasure. She started in Wayland upon completing her undergraduate degree at UMass Amherst. Immediately she took charge of the grade 3-12 string program. Throughout her 35 years here, she has overseen tremendous growth and development in the string program, leading to the hiring of an elementary string teacher and 7 years ago to me, the full time elementary and middle school string teacher. This allowed Jane
to focus on her responsibilities as the Director of Fine Arts and the WHS Orchestras.

It has been an honor and a privilege to work with, learn from and be a part of the Jane Ezbicki legacy. She has left a musical mark on countless young musicians and their families.

– From Susan Memoli

Mrs. Ezbicki has infused a love and appreciation for the arts into our entire school system. So many students have found a passion for music, art, or drama while in our schools, and this is largely because Mrs. E. has sustained and grown a program that reaches the entire community. Her love for the arts is infectious (have you ever seen her direct a musical group, play the piano, or dance a jig?). Thank you, Mrs. E!

– From Allyson Mizoguchi

Fun living Jane E. mixes her great sense of humor with a true and deep passion for teaching and music. She’s one of the last of the old-school teachers who contributed markedly to making WHS what it is today. Thanks for everything, Jane!

– From Kevin Delaney

Jane Ezbicki – Our very own Queen Bee. What will the hive be like without her?

– From Pam Miller

Jane,
Wayland has been blessed with your melody!

– From Cathy Lynch

When I think of Jane Ezbicki I think of the “Sounds of Music” – How fortunate we have been here at Wayland HS to have had her here. I shall always remember her conducting “The Battle Hymn of The Republic,” a stirring rendition which brought tears to my eyes.

– From Barbara Manley

Jane,
Your dedication and devotion to WHS is beyond comparison. I just cannot imagine this place without you! Godspeed and may the next chapter in your book of life be truly blessed.

– From Mary Brown

Ms. Ezbicki is a truly remarkable educator. She has spent 35 years dedicating countless hours each day to ensuring the growth of young people. She is a selfless, inspirational, and committed teacher who truly loves working with students. You see this in every facet of work on and off campus. Ms. Ezbicki will be missed greatly.

– From Patrick Tutwiler

The worth of a school is often measured in the quality of its staff. Mrs. Ezbicki and Ms. Gavett are two wonderful and gifted instructors who have certainly helped establish Wayland’s reputation as an outstanding school district. Their professional efforts and personal commitment to students is, by every measure, exceptional. Just ask any of their hundreds of students!

– From Gary Burton

Dear Jane,
I can’t count the number of times following a performance that you have conducted when I have said to myself during the applause, “It is hard to believe that these are high school students. They sound like professionals.” Thank you for the memories.

– From Joe Damplo

When people attend a concert by the WHS Orchestra, they will often select a seat in the center of the auditorium in order to get a full view of the ensemble and to hear a balance of sound. These people are never disappointed; they will hear a magnificent performance. However, by standing to the side, or if you are fortunate enough, backstage, you will get to see a very special performance by watching the conducting of Jane Ezbicki. When I watch Jane conduct, I see a musician focused on expressing the music being performed, an educator dedicated to drawing the best effort from her students, and an expression of joy in a person who truly enjoys her work. That joy is contagious. Working with Jane has made me more joyful and appreciative of my work as a music educator. It is a joy that has spread to the students and staff of the Wayland Schools and to the members of the community.

The average student of Wayland High School knows Mrs. Ezbicki as the high school Orchestra Director, a position she has held since 1973. They may not realize that since 1997, when the current graduating class was starting 2nd grade, she has been the system-wide Director of Fine Arts. As Fine Arts Director, her responsibilities include the supervision of all Music, Art, and Drama activities from Kindergarten through Grade 12. So Mrs. Ezbicki has been a part of each 5th Grade Play, Elementary Concert, each Band Fest, each String Jamboree, every Art exhibit, every Middle and High School play, every Music, Drama, and Art class. Directly or indirectly, Jane Ezbicki has played a part in the education of every Wayland High student.

I am personally grateful to Jane for helping to bring me to Wayland to be a part of the Fine Arts faculty. I am grateful for her support, her smile, her magnificent and infectious laugh, her leadership, and friendship.

– From Stephen Murray

$210
$1500