News Brief: WSPN’s week of awards

Credit: Screenshot from JEA and designed by Kristin Taylor

Wayland Student Press Network has won a 2023 First Amendment Press Freedom Award and has been named both a 2023 Pacemaker finalist and a 2023 CSPA Silver Crown and Gold Crown finalist.

Emily Roberge

The Wayland Student Press Network has won a 2023 First Amendment Press Freedom Award and has been named both a 2023 Pacemaker finalist and a 2023 CSPA Silver Crown and Gold Crown finalist.

While in previous years, WSPN has been nominated as both a Pacemaker finalist and a CSPA Silver Crown and Gold Crown finalist, WSPN has never won the First Amendment Press Freedom Award before.

2023 First Amendment Press Freedom Award

The First Amendment Press Freedom Award promotes student-run media without prior review and adheres to the ethics and responsibilities of protecting the First Amendment.

On Feb. 23, which is Student Press Freedom Day, there were 16 schools who won the award. On April 20, WSPN, along with the 15 winning schools, will be honored at the Spring JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in San Francisco, CA.

2023 Pacemaker finalist

WSPN was one of 24 Pacemaker finalists nationwide, with only two other MA schools nominated for the award. Since 2008, WSPN has won the Pacemaker 10 times.

2023 CSPA Silver and Gold Crown finalist

On Dec. 15, 2022, WSPN was named a 2023 Silver Crown and Gold Crown finalist. Only 20 schools nationwide were selected as Columbia Scholastic Press Association Award finalists. Since 2009, WSPN has won the Gold Crown eight times and the Silver Crown two times.

Winners of the Pacemaker and the 2023 Silver Crown and Gold Crown will also be announced at the Spring JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention.