Top 10 books you need to read this summer

Delve+into+a+world+of+summer+reading+as+reporter+Sierra+Dale+explains+her+top+10+summer+book+recommendations.+
Credit: Sierra Dale
Delve into a world of summer reading as reporter Sierra Dale explains her top 10 summer book recommendations.

With summer finally here, we’re blessed with warm temperatures and plenty of time to read a good book on the beach or in the comfort of your air-conditioned home. Here are the top 10 book recommendations for summer reading, ranging from sweet romances to harrowing thrillers.

“Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow” by Gabrielle Zevin
With an absolutely captivating cover, “Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow” just begs to be picked up, and for good reason. This novel tells the story of childhood friends Sam Masur and Sadie Green and their careers in the video game industry. Spanning over 30 years, “Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow” tells of the creativity of the heart and the fragility of love. With prose that practically leaps off the page in this contemporary piece, Zevin manages to weave together a story that reimagines the typical romance novel.

“Babel: An Arcane History” by R.F. Kuang
Written by the same author that brought readers the “Poppy War” trilogy, a grim but gripping fantasy retelling of the opium crisis and rise of Mao in 20th century China, Kuang brings yet another showstopping fantasy that explores the sacrifices of power. Set in 1828, this standalone follows Robin Swift, a Chinese orphan raised in London, training to be enrolled in Oxford University’s Royal Institute of Translation, otherwise known as Babel. Scholars can wield magic at Babel, which the British Empire uses to make themselves the greatest imperial power. Torn between serving in Babel or joining the Hermes Society in pursuit of preventing British colonization, Kuang delivers an intellectual, razor-sharp book that combines history and magic, for a stellar novel that will leave you speechless.

“Malibu Rising” by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Quite literally the epitome of a summer read, “Malibu Rising” is set in 1983 in sunny Malibu, California. All leading up to the highly anticipated annual summer party held by supermodel and surfer Nina Riva, “Malibu Rising” follows the lives of siblings Nina, Jay, Hud and Kit. Raised by a single mother and practically abandoned by their father, Nina, Jay, Hud and Kit, navigate life in a household sometimes struggling for income. But, when the spotlight shifts and it is discovered that the four are Riva’s children, they are thrust into a life of popularity and seeming prosperity. However, this all unravels one night in the heat of August 1983, when Riva’s party spins out of control and the mansion goes up in flames. Like a powder keg about to explode, “Malibu Rising” takes you through the history and secrets of the Riva family, all of which threaten to be revealed in the artfully written climax of the book.

“The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides
An addiction from start to finish, “The Silent Patient” can’t be put down. Alicia Berenson has a seemingly perfect life until she shoots her husband five times in the face. With the famous fashion photographer dead and Alicia at the trigger, she is thrust into police questioning. Except, she refuses to utter a word. Determined to break her silence, criminal psychotherapist Theo Faber is eager to get a chance to unravel the secrets surrounding Alicia and the notorious murder, but not all is as it seems. As Faber delves deeper into the truth, some of his secrets arise and threaten to swallow him whole. Absolutely intoxicating, this gripping thriller will have you reading late into the night.

“Pachinko” by Min Jin Lee
With “Pachinko,” Lee creates a stunning masterpiece with complex characters, rich scenery and moving storytelling. Set in the early 1900s and spanning generations, pregnant teenager Sunja marries a minister moving to Japan, abandoning her life in Korea. A historic tale of a Korean family living in Japan, “Pachinko” is an utterly engrossing, heartfelt story that is a must-read for anyone, especially with its recent TV show adaptation on Apple TV Plus.

“Happy Place” by Emily Henry
From the esteemed romance author that brought you “Book Lovers,” “People We Meet On Vacation” and “Beach Read,” Henry is back with another summer novel that is sure to fulfill your romance reading checklist. Keeping this recommendation short and sweet, “Happy Place” tells the story of two exes putting up a facade for the sake of their annual summer excursion with their friends. How hard can that be? If you’re looking for a fun summer romance, “Happy Place,” as well as Henry’s other books, are perfect for you.

“Fourth Wing” by Rebecca Yarros
A recent fantasy debut by Yarros, “Fourth Wing” has garnered remarkable praise for its daring adventures, strong main character and swoon-worthy romance. The first in a trilogy, Violet Sorrengail has prepared her whole life to be a scribe, yet her mother, the commanding general, has other plans. Violet, who has suffered all her life from an illness that weakens her bones and strips her muscles, is forced to become a Rider, a highly trained candidate that serves the army on the backs of dragons. Thrust into Basgiath War College, a brutal three-year academy that trains cadets to become riders, Violet must defeat the odds and survive her first year. With an average death rate of several students each day, surviving is no easy feat. A book brimming with determination, this is a must-read for any fantasy romance lovers.

“Every Summer After” by Carley Fortune
“Six summers to fall in love. One moment to fall in love. A weekend to get it right.” Literally perfection. “Every Summer After” explores the lives and relationships of Persephone Fraser and Sam Florek, childhood friends and potential lovers before they fell apart. Returning to their hometown in Barry’s Bay to attend Sam’s mother’s funeral, Sam and Persephone have to face the choices of their past if they want to rekindle anything from their friendship. A captivating romance novel about the importance of our choices, “Every Summer After” is the perfect summer read.

“The Violin Conspiracy” by Brendan Slocumb
Slocumb’s debut novel, “The Violin Conspiracy,” weaves together a multitude of gripping concepts in this mystery thriller that will keep you at the edge of your seat. Ray McMillian is a violin prodigy on the precipice of fame thanks to his grandmother’s recently found priceless Stradivarius fiddle. But, when the violin is stolen just before the famed Tchaikovsky Competition, Ray scrambles to find the thief. Faced with racism as an aspiring black musician, “The Violin Conspiracy” combines the power of greed, the horrors of slavery and a coming-of-age to create a showstopping novel.

“The Midnight Library” by Matt Haig
This magical tale explores the limits of time and choices in a compassionate, compelling manner. At the edge of the universe lies a midnight library, whose books tell of a multitude of alternate realities. When Nora Seed stumbles upon the library, she is faced with unlimited opportunity: she could change her life in an instant. “The Midnight Library” forces us to see what makes life fulfilling and what makes it worth living. Truly stunning, this empathetic novel will be on your mind long after you’ve finished reading.