Fall sports preview

Credit: Sasha Libenzon and Mischa Lee
WSPN shares information about every 2023 fall sport, the captains and the key players that were selected by coaches and fellow teammates.

Fall sports are back. Below is some information about each sport, the captains and key players to watch as identified by coaches and players.

Boys Soccer
After three scrimmages, the boys varsity soccer team will have its first non-league game against North Reading High School on Saturday, Sept. 9 at 10 a.m. The team will have to adjust to the loss of two key varsity players, senior Xande Santos and junior Alex Crawford, as they will play for Major League Soccer (MLS) Next New England Futbol Club (NEFC) and MLS Next Intercontinental Football Academy (IFA) respectively instead of the Wayland High School team.

“I think in the first game we will come out really strong,” junior boys soccer player Matyas Kylberger said. “I think we will still be really good this season. We had two scrimmages against really strong teams and we did well in both.”

Captains: seniors Zach Rainville, Andrew Medeiros and Jack Quinn.
Players to watch: seniors Luke Phytila and Kailas Srinivasan, junior Jack Gavron and freshman Brady Babineau.

Cross Country
Coming off of a successful season, in which the entire boys varsity team and two runners on the girls team qualified for the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) Division II State Meet, the cross country team expects to have a bright season, with many of its top runners returning. The team’s first meet takes place on Thursday, Sept. 14 against Newton South and Acton-Boxborough in Newton.

“I’m excited to see the team build on the previous success from last year when the boys team, WHS alum Bella Thoen, and junior Arya Samaratunga made states,” senior captain Zack Goldstein said. “I hope that anyone who is joining the team for the first time has a great season.”

Captains: Goldstein, along with seniors Daniel Narvaez, Michael Wightman, Ben Caddoo and Selena Liu and junior Arya Samaratunga.
Players to watch: juniors Owen Williams and Luke Chisum, sophomore Sofia Ciciarelli and Samaratunga.

Crew
After a victorious spring season in which the Wayland-Weston crew team sent several boats to nationals, the program is starting up full-speed, with many of the athletes continuing to practice over the summer. The first regatta is set to take place on Sunday, Oct. 1 in Lowell. The team already has multiple National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I commitments, including Wayland senior captain Lulu Kazlas and senior Ava Balukonis, who will row for Rutgers University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill respectively.

“I’m so excited for this season,” junior crew team member Sadie Batista said. “I’m looking forward to seeing our team continue to get faster and hopefully have a lot of wins. We have a really strong group of girls this year, and practicing and competing together should be really fun.”

Captains: Kazlas and Weston seniors Siena Flanigan, TJ Dahl and Andrew Orio.
Players to watch: Balukonis, Batista, senior Maddie Genis and junior Alex Dremov.

Football
After a tough season, with a final record of one win and nine losses, the football team is working to make a comeback for its 2023 campaign. In the summer, the team traveled to Camp Caribou for its annual Maine training camp. The first game of the season is away against Hopkinton on Friday, Sept. 8, however, the team will have its first home game under the lights on Thursday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m. against Ashland.

“The roster and determination around the team has definitely improved from last year, but there’s still plenty of room to grow throughout the year,” junior football player Luke DiPietro-Froio said. “Hopkinton is coming off of one of their best seasons in their history, but we believe we have the strength to beat them on Friday night.”

Captains: Seniors Dylan Aufman and Jack Kerrigan, along with junior Max Dresens.
Players to watch: Aufman, Kerrigan, Dresens and junior Michael Keenan.

Girls Soccer
The girls soccer team hopes to build off of last year and make a playoff run this season. Summer preparation and pre-season scrimmages have prepared the girls for their first league game on Wednesday, Sept. 13 at 4:45 p.m. at home against Newton South High School.

“I’m so excited for the season to start,” sophomore girls soccer player Caoilinn Donohue said. “We have a really strong roster and three talented captains who will no doubt lead us to the playoffs. The team already has such great chemistry and grit that will help us stay driven and focused to have a great season.”

Captains: seniors Lily Mele, Missy Prince and Abby Raftery.
Players to watch: juniors Jackie Rainville and Maeve Moran, along with sophomore Avery Umina.

Golf
After a loss to Bedford High School in the first matchup of the season, the boys varsity golf team is looking to gain a win against Cambridge Rindge and Latin on Monday, Sept. 11 at 3:30 p.m.

“I’m excited to get to play with a new group of guys, but a little disappointed that it’s my last year,” senior captain Joey Burke said. “I’m hoping for a lot of wins this season and am anxious to see what we can do in states.”

Captains: seniors Joey Burke and Jamie Lehr.
Players to watch: seniors Jamie Lehr, Charlie Lieb and Joey Burke, along with junior Spencer Kates.

Field Hockey
The first game of the season ended with a Concord-Carlisle win with a score of 2-0. The girls field hockey team graduated many seniors last year and is rebuilding the team this season. The next game will take place on the Wayland turf on Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 4:15 p.m. against Newton South High School.

“After losing 16 seniors last year, we have a much smaller program this year,” junior captain Finley Knapp said. “We have almost an entirely new varsity team, but we have been looking better each day. The team dynamic this year is so fun and encouraging, and I am really excited for the rest of the season.”

Captains: seniors Talia Macchi and Hayley Shaw, along with Knapp and junior Lily Cerne.
Players to watch: Knapp, along with juniors Chloe Zilembo and Sofia Simmons.

Girls Volleyball
Coming off of a 4-16 season last year, the girls volleyball team is hoping to gain more wins this season. A pre-season scrimmage ended with a 3-2 win against Lexington High School, and the team faces Wellesley High School on Monday, Sept. 11 at 4 p.m.

“We are all super excited to have a competitive season,” senior captain Juliana Perdomo said. “I think we will do way better than past years due to the commitment to improving and the eagerness we have to play.”

Captains: senior Juliana Perdomo, senior Dasha Tveretinova and junior Tristen Chow.
Players to watch: Perdomo, Tveretinova, junior Samantha Lee and sophomore Anna Yalli.