Breaking Down Breaking News: Hurricane Lee

Credit: Alyssa Ao

What you need to know:

During this coming weekend, on Saturday, Sept. 16, Hurricane Lee is expected to cause rain, wind and flooding in Massachusetts. Lee originated off the coast of Africa on Sept. 2, and while it has not made landfall yet, it’s projected to affect the Northeastern United States and Canada.

According to CNN, Lee was described as a Category 3 storm as of Monday, and according to NBC News, Lee is projected to become a Category 4 hurricane in the next few days. Lee’s wind fields will have effects similar to tropical storm winds. As Lee approaches the coast, swells could reach 10 to 20 feet on beaches, making it very dangerous to be near the water.

Why it matters:

Due to the increasing size in wind fields, Wayland may receive some tropical storm winds and precipitation. According to Fox Weather, the National Hurricane Center expects Lee to slowly weaken over the next couple of days as it moves into a more unstable environment of increasing air shear, drier air and cooler waters. People in New England are encouraged to be cautious as the hurricane approaches.

According to Weather Underground, there continues to be a flood watch due to the possible excessive rainfall. The flood watch areas include portions of Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. This excessive rainfall could include flooding within rivers, creeks, streams and other low-lying places. There is a chance that Lee’s winds, in combination with saturated soils, could knock down trees and cause power outages in some areas.

What are other sources to look at?

“Hurricane Lee’s path and timeline: Meteorologists project when and where the storm may hit” – cbsnews.com
“Hurricane Lee expected to steadily strengthen this week” – nbcnews.com
“Maps: Will Hurricane Lee hit New England? Here are the latest projections.” – bostonglobe.com