The upcoming season of fall fashion trends

Credit: Melina Barris
Join WSPN’s Melina Barris and Jessi Dretler as they discuss the best fall fashion trends.

The weather is cooling down, the leaves are starting to transition into autumn colors and fall is arriving. The transition from summer to fall not only includes changes in the weather, but also a quick shift in style and trends. The tank tops turn into sweaters, and the shorts turn into jeans. Here are our favorite seven fall fashion trends.

Jean skirts
The first cute fall trend we have are jean skirts. During the fall, these skirts can be styled with a neutral-colored sweater, a long sleeve or any other top you like. A popular style of jean skirt is the wrap around skirt from Zara. You can wear these skirts at school, at home or while going out. This is a great staple item that is perfect for styling with any articles of clothing.

White knit sweaters
A comfy, oversized knit sweater is a perfect essential for autumn. The white knit sweater gained its popularity from the show “Gilmore Girls,” since it was a typical item worn by the main character, Rory Gilmore. This sweater, paired with a black mini skirt, leggings or even a simple pair of jeans will complete the “fall” look. An oversized knit sweater is the perfect article of clothing to keep you warm during the chilly autumn weather.

Dr. Marten boots
Need a good pair of shoes that match the autumn weather? Dr. Marten boots are the perfect pair of shoes and have always been a timeless fashion trend. They can be worn with jeans, skirts, dresses and many other outfit pairings. There are many different styles and colors of Dr. Martens. Once you break in these shoes, they are extremely comfortable as well.

Mesh tights
Mesh tights are the perfect accessory to wear as the weather becomes colder, especially when paired with skirts or dresses. Skirts that are most suitable for mesh tights can include black mini skirts or other shorter skirts. The best dresses to match with mesh tights are often thought to be Brandy Melville dresses, especially the “Mabel Dress.” Mesh tights come in different prints, including polka dots, fishnets and other patterns, like hearts lining the tights for example.

Shrug sweaters
Shrug sweaters are a shortened version of a cardigan sweater, but the fit is different. The sweater sits right below your shoulders and is worn on top of a tank top as a cover up. The most trendy type of shrug sweater for this season seems to be the knit shrugs, as it suits the chilly weather. Shrug sweaters look good in a variety of different colors, from neutrals like white and black, to more vibrant colors like blue. Some are even a mix of colors that will still match well with a white or black tank top underneath.

Platform Uggs
Platform Uggs are a staple fall shoe. The most popular styles now include the Tasmans, Ultra Minis and Shearling lined slippers. The fuzzy interior is perfect to keep you warm as the weather cools down. These shoes were trendy last year in the color chestnut, while this year’s trending color seems to be mustard seed.

Off-the-shoulder sweatshirts
Off-the-shoulder sweatshirts are a popular new trend that fit the fall weather perfectly. Some people turn their regular sweatshirts into off-the-shoulder ones by doing it themselves. To make their own off-the-shoulder sweatshirts, people have cut the neckline off their regular sweatshirts and hoodies to add a new element to a sweatshirt. It’s a fun and cute trend that everyone should try with at least one of their sweatshirts.