Fashionista of the Month: October

Name: Audrey Larson

Grade: Sophomore

Favorite stores: Free People, Brandy Melville, Garage and Aritzia.

Online shopping or in-store: “I prefer online shopping over in-store shopping. I feel like shopping online is better for me because there are so many options, so I don’t feel as pressured to buy something as easily as I do when I am shopping in stores. I also have the ability to research the product, check reviews, see what it looks like on other people and it gets rid of the hassle of trying the item of clothing on.

Fashion icon: “I wouldn’t say there’s necessarily one person that I get inspiration from. Since social media is so curated nowadays, my Pinterest and TikTok have become really good resources for inspiration. It helps me figure out what I really like and how to style things in a way that is flattering and that suits me.”

Design time: “[I pick out my outfits] the night before. I hate waking up in the morning with minimal timing and no outfit. Each evening I try to think of a broad idea of something I want to wear that is both practical and cute.

Favorite article of clothing: “My Zadig Et Voltaire graphic t-shirt [is my favorite]. I think this is my favorite piece because of how unique it is. I have never seen anybody around here with a shirt like this, and I have so much fun styling it every time.”

Favorite fashion trend: “I like low rise flare jeans. I am a big fan of denim since I think it is such a good basic [clothing item to have] and it is so fun to style in all sorts of ways. I love that you can dress it both up and down, and I especially love that right now low rise is back in style, along with the bootcut/flare shape. I think these types of jeans are so flattering and make everybody look so good. They also look adorable with other trends, like platform Ugg’s, shrug [sweaters] and bulky sweaters.”

Favorite accessory: “I am obsessed with the Marc Jacobs mini tote bag. I got one from my parents for my birthday a year or two ago, and I am obsessed with it. It is the perfect everyday purse that’s not too big, but holds everything you need and more. It also goes with almost every outfit I pick out.”

Favorite season: “I love the period right in between fall and summer. I like having the option to bundle myself up and wear a big sweater and Uggs, or be able to throw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and not be too cold. I also feel like that there are so many more outfits to work with in the fall since you don’t quite need a big jacket, but you can still wear skirts and shorts if you want to.”

Style word: “I would say put-together. I am very focused on what different things, colors and shapes look like together. If something doesn’t look right, I always find a way to fix it so that the outfit looks right.”

Fashion-challenged advice: “I think when someone is stumped on finding clothing or the kind of clothing they like, they should look for inspiration. Coming up with a mood board, or even a Pinterest board that consists of what you like can help to determine what clothes to buy or how to style the ones you already have. Also, I suggest asking your friends. If there’s a certain person that always looks their best and has cute clothes that you want to wear, just ask them where they got [their outfit] from or use them as your inspiration.”

What does fashion mean to you: “I think fashion is a way of expressing yourself that ties into everyday life. To me, I use fashion as a way to make me feel better about myself and to give others a way to view me as a person.”