2022 vs. 2023: WHS fall sports in the past two seasons

As the fall sports season for Wayland High School comes to an end, teams have experienced the turmoil of losses and elation of wins through the last couple of months. Join WSPN’s Bella Schreiber and Tina Su as they compare last year’s sports season to this year’s through side-by-side pictures and an infographic of games won and lost. They also spotlight the MVP’s of each sports’ season.

Football:

Stats: Six wins and two losses
MVP’s of the season: Senior Mehki Walker, juniors Max Dresens and Michael Keenan

Girls soccer:

Stats: Five wins, 10 losses and three ties
MVP’s of the season: Senior Lily Mele, juniors Jackie Rainville and Zoe Mittlesteadt
Comments from the team: “I have loved how close we’ve gotten as a team,” Rainville said. “It’s so fun.”

Boys soccer:

Stats: Six wins, nine losses and two ties
MVP’s of the season: Seniors Andrew Mederios, Zach Rainville, Jack Quinn and junior Jack Gavron
Comments from the team: “I think that when we’re playing our best soccer as a team, we can beat anyone in our division and in the state,” senior Andrew Mederois said. “We’ve had our ups and downs this season, but I’m really happy with the way that we got some really quality wins towards the end of the season.”

Field hockey:

Stats: Two wins, 13 losses and one tie
MVP’s of the season: juniors Jane Tardif, Sofia Simmons and freshman Melina Antun
Comments from the team: “I always know the team has my back,” Simmons said. “No matter what happens, we all support each other and have fun at the games.”

Girls volleyball:

Stats: 11 wins and eight losses
MVP’s of the season: Seniors Juliana Perdomo, Dasha Tveretinova and junior Samantha Lee
Comments from the team: “I’m just really glad we’re officially in the playoffs and have been winning,” junior Katelyn Chirayath said. “The team is really good this year because of our team dynamic and energy we put in.”

Girls cross country:

Stats: One win and four loss
MVP’s of the season: Senior Amy McCormack, junior Arya Samaratunga and sophomore Sofia Ciciarelli.
Comments from the team: “One of my favorite parts of the team is team bonding,” Samaratunga said. “While it’s really rewarding to see yourself do well, it’s so exciting to see your teammates succeed and cheer them on. No matter what level of running you are, everyone always supports each other and it makes a good community.

Boys cross country:

Stats: Two win and four losses
MVP’s of the season: Senior Daniel Narvaez and junior Will Jackson
Comments from the team:  “I think this season has been interesting,” senior Zack Goldstein said. “Coming into the season, we’ve had a lot of high hopes, but injuries have changed our perceptions. In general, a lot of people have improved and showed their hard work.”

Girls rowing:

MVP’s of the season: Seniors Maddie Genis, Lulu Kazlas, Ava Balukonis and junior Sadie Batista
Comments from the team: “It was nice that we were all able to struggle together this year,” Genis said. “Even though we went through some hard things we all just kept pushing. We helped each other and collectively got up and kept working.”

Boys rowing:

MVP’s of the season: Seniors Miles Reynolds, Graham Schwendt and junior Alex Dremov
Comments from the team: “This season had a lot of ups and downs,” former boys’ coxswain senior Sophie Roman said. “Overall we had some good racing and it was a lot of fun.”

Golf:

Stats: Three wins and seven losses
MVP’s of the season: Senior Joey Burke and junior Spencer Kates