Fashion cities and their street styles

Credit: Mischa Lee
Join reporters Mischa Lee and Elyssa Grillo as they discuss different street styles in different cities.

Fashion in some of the most well-dressed cities depends on culture and weather. Each country has a unique style that is not only seen on the runway, but also worn by civilians throughout their daily lives. Join WSPN’s Mischa Lee and Staff Reporter Elyssa Grillo as they discuss the most prominent pieces seen on the bustling streets of New York City, Milan, Seoul and many more.

NEW YORK CITY (NYC):
New York City (NYC) is often known as the world’s fashion capital. The most well-known fashion schools, brands and franchises are located directly in the heart of New York. It is also known for its semi-annual New York Fashion Week (NYFW) shows, when many unique, high-end brands host public events and fashion shows. When it comes to street style, New York never fails to amaze us with the bustling streets that account for the hundreds of changing styles and trends throughout each year. Residents will dress with every aesthetic, from classy and elegant, to funky and unique. Often, NYC residents throw random pieces together and call it an outfit, but the disarray somehow always works in our opinions. Many of New York’s favorites styles include denim on denim, lace and ruffle material, a loose or baggy fit and the timeless material of leather. You can always count on NYC to see huge statement jewelry and pops of color due to its funky, but cute, style. As for its classy style, you will see suit skirts, jacket sets or elegant dresses. “The city that never sleeps” will also forever be known as the city of never-ending fashion to us.

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA:
Seoul is often known for its phenomenal beauty and skincare products, as well as their prolific K-Pop groups, but their fashion and style are a big part of the city as well. In contrast with American cities like New York, Korean fashion is more modes and has fewer flashy trends. People in Seoul tend to wear more dark, neutral tones and plain patterns, but they’re still on top of fashion trends. You will see many oversized, ripped jeans and different unique long coats every year. For accessories, black sunglasses and a mini black purse are often popular. Although many outfits are classy and relatively plain, Koreans always seem to add an element to spice their outfits up, like unique shoes or even over-the-top makeup and hair.

PARIS:
Paris is commonly referred to as the most fashionable city in the world, and for good reason. The Parisians value timeless pieces over recent trends, represented in their simple and chic outfits. While the most stylish people might dabble in long-standing trends, the majority of Parisians aren’t interested in micro-trends like Americans are. Similarly, the French aren’t interested in dressing in full designer despite some people’s opinions that the French carry a reputation of pretentiousness. They show class through a combination of neutral colored staples accessorized with unique pieces or a designer bag. Parisian women love to accessorize with the Masculin-Féminin method. Created by famous designer Yves Saint Laurent, this concept allows one to combine the stereotypical feminine style with masculine pieces to give the outfit depth. When in formal attire, women often top off their neutral colored dresses with an oversized trench coat and ballet flats. For a more casual approach to Masculin-Féminin, a Parisian might pair wide-leg pants with a silk button-down blouse (the French love silk) and loafers. As for makeup and hair, the French find less to be more, enhancing their natural beauty by leaving their hair simple and only using light cosmetics on their face.

SÃO PAULO, BRAZIL:
Because Brazil has a very hot climate, bikinis are common, but only at the beach. The fashion in cities like São Paulo is just as structured as fashion capitals in many other countries. Several women of São Paulo love vibrant colors to match the environment of their lively, tropical city. There is often at least one part of their outfit that makes a statement. Some may dress in a t-shirt or skirt with patterns, while others might pair a plain, scalloped dress with chunky jewelry. Both the patterns and pops of extravagant jewelry are popular pieces of the bohemian style in São Paulo. Women of Brazil also stand out with unique pieces from local slow-fashion brands. It is very common for Brazilians to weave and sew clothes to sell in street markets, and their fashion reflects that long-standing tradition. These pieces could be anything from a maxi skirt and tote bag to a turquoise bracelet, all of which add to the special look of bohemian patterns and hues.

MILAN, ITALY:
In Milan, the fashion is very similar to Paris, but more elevated and trendy. The heels are higher, the loafers are chunkier, the coats are bigger and the skirts are shorter. On the streets of Milan, it is rare to see light colors during the fall and winter, but even in summer and spring, dark neutrals dominate Milan style. Pedestrians could be going to a business meeting or just shopping around, and you wouldn’t know which it was because it seems like almost everyone dresses in sophisticated black or gray attire. A Milanese woman can mix and match anything, such as oversized blazers, mini skirts, knee high boots, Birkin bags and high heels, all completed with a simple makeup look.

LOS ANGELES (LA):
Los Angeles (LA) is known for many things: it’s the center of entertainment, it’s the home to many celebrities and influencers and it has a laid-back California vibe. It’s also the home to many unique cultures with people who bring a little bit of themselves into the city. Going along with the “laid back vibe” and hot weather, LA residents love simplicity and minimalism, often reaching for maxi dresses or skirts in the summer with their denim game in reach all year round. Many people add E black sunglasses, jewelry and unique, personable nails to spice up their outfits. Their effortless style also applies to leather jackets, platform sandals and button downs, which are other popular staples in LA. Next to New York City, LA is one of the most fashionable cities in the US.