Fashionista of the Month: November

Credit: Melina Barris
Join WSPN’s Melina Barris and Makenzie Macchi as they interview the November Fashionista of the Month: Katherine Bassen.

Join WSPN’s Melina Barris and Makenzie Macchi as they preview the November Fashionista of the Month: Katherine Bassen

Name: Katherine Bassen

Teacher’s subject: History

Favorite store:

I buy so much from J.Crew. That is probably my go-to [store]. My aspirational store is probably Isabel Marant.

Online shopping or in-store?

I prefer [shopping] in-store because I like to see how things look on. However, I do like shopping online because I convince myself that things I buy will look a lot better than they do. There is always that excitement of “Will it look good in my mind of what I created?” So I think I am 50/50, I just like shopping regardless!

Fashion Icon:

I would say Alexa Chung, but I have more than one fashion icon, I’ll be honest. My husband has amazing outfits, a really good and curated style which I appreciate. Lastly, I have followed her on instagram, and she has worked for Vogue for a few years, Eva Chen. She has an incredible style, it’s just effortless and chic.

Outfit:

Everything is from J.Crew.

Favorite and least favorite season:

I’m going to say my least favorite season is fall, so let’s start there. The reason is because I don’t know if I am going to get hot or cold, because it’s always cold in the morning, and gets warmer during the day, so I don’t love that. I think I am going to choose Winter as my favorite season. You can do a lot of different things, you can do creative things, you could take some risks that you wouldn’t necessarily take in the summer.

Favorite fashion trend:

At first I was really opposed to this 90s resurgence, but I think I am more into it now. I am starting to like the wide leg jean trend more, I am still holding on to my skinny jeans when they cycle back, but I think the wide jeans are a good look for people.

Favorite accessory:

Bags [are my favorite accessory]. I love bags so much and it’s a problem.

Design time:

Well it depends on how put-together I am feeling at the end of the day. I try to plan or have an idea of what I’ll wear for the next day, when I am about to go to bed but I think anywhere from five to 10 minutes.

Style word:

I’d say classic [is my style word].

Fashion-challenged advice:

I’d say to look at what other people are wearing, and be inspired. This doesn’t have to be people who look like you, sound like you or share any ideas about you. I think clothes should make you feel like your best version of yourself.

What does fashion mean to you:

Fashion means a lot to me. I believe it is a form of self expression, and I love that. I love clothes, I love thinking about clothes, I love thinking about other people’s clothes. For me, it is just a really interesting way to explore history honestly, but also it is a really cool way to say “Hey this is who I am on the surface and maybe once you get to know me, you will see more about who that is.”