School spirit shenanigans: Spirit Week and its psychs

Each year, Spirit Week takes place during the week of Thanksgiving break. The three-day event is put together by the Wayland High School Student Council to provide fun in the form of games, decorations and events for students. The week kicked off with Color Blast, where students decorated the hallways. Shortly after, other after-school events took place throughout the week like the annual Spike ball tournament and A cappella concert.

Per tradition, the student council organizes psychs that all students can participate in throughout the week. This year the psychs were country vs. country club on Monday, pajamas on Tuesday and colors by grade on Wednesday. Here is a rundown of the Spirit Week psychs.

Country vs. country club:

On Monday, freshmen and juniors were dressed in country-inspired outfits, wearing cowboy hats and jeans. In contrast, sophomores and seniors wore the typical country club members’ tennis skirts and Polo shirts. Student Council Vice President Giovanni Sebastianelli helped plan the psychs for this year’s Spirit Week.

“For country vs. country club, [the Student Council and I] knew that a lot of people had wanted to do that psych in the past, and this year we got the okay to do it,” Sebastianelli said. “It wasn’t hard to decide on psychs. [The Student Council and I] just needed to consider being inclusive of everybody while also keeping it fun.” Sebastianelli said.

Although not a lot of students dressed up for Monday’s theme, the students who did went all out. Junior Ella Moscoffian was dressed very accurately to the cowgirl style. She paired Levi jeans with a cowboy hat, boots and a flannel button-up.

“I found this psych to be really easy and fun since I didn’t even have to buy anything to prepare,” Moscoffian said, “I always like to get new stuff for psychs with my friends, but I can understand that it’s a pain. Still, I am disappointed that not a lot of people dressed up.”

As for the country club side, seniors and sophomores dressed in the preppy style. Students were seen in brands like Lululemon or J.Crew.

Pajamas:

Pajamas seemed to be a more popular psych than the previous day because of its flexibility. Students were able to wear anything from sweatpants to a pajama set to a onesie.

“It was important to choose an easy psych, and that was Pajama Day,” Sebastianelli said. “Some students may not do country vs. country club, but we know that everyone can dress up in pajamas.”

Tuesday’s psych was notably more popular than the previous psych, since almost every student wore some form of sleepwear. Some students enjoyed bundling up in their pajamas.  Spirit Week is devoted to giving students a break and time for relaxation, and students found that with this classic psych.

“My favorite psych is definitely pajama’s because I get to be cozy in my favorite pajamas all day,” Senior Dana Efrat said. “It was super easy. I just found the comfiest clothes I own, my camp sweatpants and a baggy sweatshirt.”

Spirit Day:

On the final day of Spirit Week, students were decked out in their designated class color to support and represent their grade. Freshmen were in green, sophomores were in blue, juniors were in red and the seniors wore black and orange. Unlike the other two psychs of the week, this psych is an on-going tradition that the Student Council never changes.

For freshmen, Spirit Week was entirely new, but many students still dressed up with the rest of the school. Freshman Class President Max Rainville wore some of his siblings’ clothing items in addition to his own in order to represent his grade throughout the Spirit Day festivities.

“I really enjoyed dressing in the same color as my entire grade, even though I had a hard time finding green,” Rainville said. “It was fun to get the grade together through the games and psychs.”