Fashionista of the Month: December

Name: Sydney Lozano

Grade: Junior

Favorite store: “I really love thrift stores, I get a lot of my clothes from there. Besides that, I really love T.J. Maxx and Marshalls.”

Online shopping or in-store?: “[I] definitely [prefer] in-store shopping. I like to see the clothes in person. I feel like [with] online stores, you can’t gauge how much you are going to like [something] once you get it. It is also easier to see what you can pair it with in store.”

Fashion Icon: “My mom went to fashion school, so I think that is where I get it from because I look up to her a lot. My mom went to an international fine arts college, which is a private school in Miami, Florida.”

Favorite outfit: “My dress is from Zara, which is another place I love, my shoes are from T.J. Maxx and then the rest of the outfit, like the turtleneck and leggings, are just from random stores.”

Favorite and least favorite season: “I think my least favorite season is winter because you have to layer so [many items], and sometimes it’s hard to find what is cute to layer. It is hard, especially if you want to wear something simple, like [my] dress, because I am wearing two shirts underneath right now. My favorite season is definitely fall. Fall is always fun to dress for because it is the perfect weather: cold enough to wear a sweater, but warm enough to wear a skirt.”

Favorite accessory: “I really like accessories like earrings and rings right now. I love to wear fun earrings with my outfits because it pulls my outfit together.”

Design time: “I’d say [the design time] depends [on] how long it takes to come up with an outfit. Sometimes, before school, it can take a long time to create something, and other days [I know] what I am going to wear immediately.”

Style word: “Maybe unique. Also maybe original or niche is a better word. I feel my style is very unique to myself because I usually base my outfits on how I feel [or] feel like looking, and I feel like it’s hard to come by people who share similar styles.”

Fashion-challenged advice: “[My advice would be to] first pick something that feels like you the most, and not be so worried about what other people think. I know that can really hinder people when they are trying to create an outfit. However, I feel like it is easiest when you know one piece you really want to wear, and then [continue to] try other things [afterwards,] like playing with more colors or layers.”

What does fashion mean to you: “For me, it is a form of self expression. When I was younger, I was really shy and didn’t want to talk to people, but fashion kind of gave me a way to express myself.”