Spring sports team captains begin to prepare for upcoming seasons

Credit: Elyssa Grillo
Join Staff Reporters Jessi Dretler and Elyssa Grillo as they talk with some spring sports captains about their hopes and plans for the upcoming season.

As winter sports come to an end, it is time for spring sports captains to begin to prepare for their team’s upcoming season. Captains act as a bridge for communication between players and coaches, and are meant to use this skill to hopefully lead their team to success by the end of the season.

Spring sports team captains are preparing themselves to mentor their teams and lead them in the right direction during the upcoming season. Senior outdoor track captain Giovanni Sebastianelli feels that the most important part of being a good captain is someone who leads by example.

“A good captain is someone who is a leader on and off the track,” Sebastianelli said. “Someone who sets a good example and who has a positive influence on the rest of the team.”

As the outdoor track season approaches, Sebastianelli sets his goals on what he and the other captains wish to accomplish for the upcoming season. This year, Sebastianelli is focused on achieving team unity and success.

“My goal for the season is that the team can really come together and work hard to get as many people as possible to qualify for the state meet,” Sebastianelli said.

Some captains believe that leadership and communication are essential parts of being a good captain. Some captains also emphasized the importance of strengthening their team and creating good relationships with teammates during the season.

“Good communication and leadership skills are the most important [part of] being a captain,” senior baseball captain Ezra Wyner said. “It’s important to communicate well with everyone on the team.”

Wyner’s goals for the season are driven by his hopes for success and creating a fun, special atmosphere.

“I would say our goals for the season are to win as many games as possible,” Wyner said. “I also think we should try and have more energy as a team and get excited about success because it just makes playing more fun.”

After a successful season last year, the girls tennis team is striving to reach even farther than the final four placement in the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association. With a new coach, the girls tennis captains believe the new coach will be able to provide a new perspective on the game and help the team focus on specific skills.

“We are all really excited for the season to start, especially since we have a chance at a fresh start with our new coach,” senior girls tennis captain Kyra Spooner said.

Although the replacement of their coach could alter the girls tennis team a bit, Spooner is most worried about the competition they face every year. According to Spooner, some towns that play against the Wayland girls tennis team have more experience and practice opportunities than Wayland does.

“As a captain, I know how to lead a group of a variety of different players,” Spooner said. “It is very important to know when to be serious, especially when we are up against teams who have better practice opportunities.”

Tennis is commonly an individual sport, but developing a team dynamic is still needed according to Spooner. Like some other captains, Spooner is looking forward to this season and the relationship she can form with her teammates while being a leader.

“Since our team has a large variety of grades and people, my goal is that we can bond together as a team on and off the court and feel united,” Spooner said.