2024 Oscars outfit review

Credit: Fiona Peltonen
Join Staff Reporter Fiona Peltonen as she discusses her thoughts about the outfits worn at the 2024 Oscars.

On March 10, the 94th annual Oscars took place. The Oscars are widely known as one of the most prestigious award shows, and with such a prominent red carpet, celebrities tend to bring their A-game when it comes to their outfits. While the winners have a tendency to be the first thing talked about in the Oscars aftermath, fashion reviews are not far behind it. For some people, watching the entrances and rating celebrities’ looks can be the most anticipated part of the night.

In my opinion, celebrities did not disappoint this year, and they displayed a wide array of trends through their eye-catching looks. With so many gowns and suits, it can be hard to keep track of what everyone wore, so this article will break down some of my personal favorite outfits of the night.

Cynthia Erivo

Actress and Grammy award winner Cynthia Erivo wore a striking emerald Louis Vuitton gown. The v-neck dress displayed sharp puffer sleeves and dramatic ruffles down the back, giving the look a reptilian feel. Her long, forest-colored nails also added to this natural vibe by creating a claw-like look. The dark color and dragon-like look of the back of the dress paid a homage to the Wicked Witch of the West, who Erivo will star as in the upcoming live-action film of “Wicked.” Erivo accompanied the look with chunky silver-emerald drop earrings and numerous rings.

Ariana Grande

Two-time Grammy award winner and actress Ariana Grande wore a baby pink Chanel gown at the 2024 Oscars. While it was a common trend for celebrities to go with tighter silhouettes this year, Grande went all out with this extravagant, yet also soft, look. Her dress was ruched and body-con, topped with huge puffy sleeves that started at her forearm. Like Erivio, her co-star, this look paid tribute to “Wicked.” Ariana Grande will play Glinda in the upcoming film, and this outfit is channeling all the good witch vibes. With puffer sleeves straight out of a fairytale and stunning pink jewelry, Grande is checking all the princess-esque boxes. The eye-catching shape of this dress is reminiscent of her iconic 2020 Grammys look, but with a bit more of a sweet and frilly feel.

Anya Taylor-Joy

Actress and Golden Globe winner Anya Taylor-Joy looked absolutely ethereal in her archived Dior gown, taking a modern spin on Dior’s iconic 1949 haute couture winning Venus dress. This strapless dress incorporated delicate petal-like fabric that gave a flowy, melting effect to the skirt. This dress displayed an elegant, swan-like silhouette, incorporating intricate silver details and material resembling dainty feathers. Taylor-Joy topped this look off with a crystalized necklace and bedazzled earrings that matched her dress.

America Ferrara

Actress and Oscar nominee America Ferrara wore a dazzling rosy pink Versace gown. This chainmail bodycon dress was bedazzled from head-to-toe, giving Ferrara a glossy, yet bold, look. During Barbie press tours, Ferrara wore more neutral outfits with a little less “wow-factor.” While those outfits were still gorgeous, this look was absolutely perfect for one last Barbie hurrah. With a sweetheart neckline and a fluid-like train, this head-turning dress embodied Barbie’s energy. Ferrara lost Best Supporting Actress to “Holdover” star Da’Vine Joy Randoloph, but this look still took home the gold.

Ryan Gosling

In a sleek, custom Gucci suit, Ryan Gosling made his mark on the Oscars red carpet. Men’s fashion can get overlooked at events like this, occasionally getting swallowed in the sea of poofy gowns, statement dresses and avant-garde accessories. This year, Gosling held his own in his all-black suit. This outfit took a subtly bedazzled take on a classic tuxedo and followed the no-tie trend that was popular at this year’s red carpet. Gosling topped this look off with a long-chained pendant and a vintage 60’s Heuer watch. However, this wasn’t Gosling’s only stunning look of the night. During his “I’m Just Ken” performance, he changed into an extravagant bejeweled bow-tieless tuxedo. This hot pink suit was reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe’s iconic “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” performance and left the audience roaring in applause.

Zendaya

Actress, Singer and two-time Emmy award winner Zendaya has made a name for herself in the fashion industry, and she did not disappoint at this year’s Oscars. In a subtle, mermaid-cut Armani dress, Zendaya owned the red carpet. This one-strapped dress sported gorgeous rose gold and silver accents, with a sparkly pattern reminiscent of palm trees. Zendaya did not pair this outfit with a necklace, but instead went for a large pair of pink Bulgari earrings. With a sophisticated bob and open back, this look felt incredibly classy. While Zendaya was not nominated for any awards this year, she did give out the award for best cinematography, which was fitting because her look was a work of art.