ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024s graduation, volleyball state championship and Junes Fashionista of the Month
ICYMI: June 10 - The Class of 2024's graduation, volleyball state championship and June's Fashionista of the Month
June 17, 2024

BDBN: Supreme Court ruling on immigration law in Texas

Credit: Alyssa Ao

What you need to know:

On Tuesday, March 19, the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) ruled in a 6-3 vote to allow Texas to arrest immigrants on the Texas – Mexico border. This law is known as S.B. 4. According to the Washington Post, S.B. 4 states that any migrant who enters the state illegally can be detained for up to half a year. This is a law Texas has attempted to develop previously, but it was turned down by the U.S. District Court because they deemed it unconstitutional.

However, just hours after the Supreme Court had approved the law, a federal jurisdiction in New Orleans ruled that Texas’ task force could not continue to arrest immigrants at the border. The court decided to stop S.B. 4 from advancing because it could lead to the development of other laws that result in further discrimination within the United States. According to NBC News, three justices voted that the law should be put on hold while the judges evaluate the issue.

Why it matters:

SCOTUS’ ruling raises the question of whether or not the state of Texas is allowed to enforce a law that it deemed unconstitutional. All states, including Texas, cannot enforce laws on immigration that violate the federal government’s laws. S.B. 4 also goes against policies of the Biden’s administration, which might cause more political tension.

The approved law by the Texas governor adds additional stress on immigrants attempting to become U.S. citizens. Some people have seen evidence of this on the U.S. – Mexico border in the past. Some believe that the United States government has not managed immigration policy effectively, since it takes at least five years to be approved of becoming a permanent resident of the U.S..

What are other sources to look at?

U.S.: Supreme Court Opens Door Chaos, Abuse in Texas – Human Rights Watch

Appeals court again blocks Texas from arresting and deporting migrants” – The Washington Post

Texas immigration law blocked again, just hours after Supreme Court allowed state to arrest migrants” – CBS News

Court of Appeal Reverses Supreme Court Ruling Re: Texas Immigration Law” – Forbes

Controversial Texas immigration law back on hold as appeals court hears arguments” – PBS News