ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

BDBN: Baltimore Key Bridge collapse

Credit: Alyssa Ao

What you need to know:

On Tuesday, March 26, the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Md. collapsed after a cargo ship belonging to a Singaporean company struck it. The company responded by seeking little liability for the accident.

The cargo ship issued a mayday call, after it realized it had lost power. Vehicles and people that were on the bridge during its collapse went overboard and into the Patapsco River. There were eight construction workers on the bridge at the time of the collapse, and officials say that the bodies of two workers were recovered in the water, while the rest of the crew has been presumed dead. The cost of damage is estimated to exceed $1 billion.

“If I had stopped and talked to somebody, my co-worker for a minute, I probably wouldn’t be here today,” Larry DeSantis, a civilian who witnessed the crash, said in a CNN interview. According to the Maryland state government, the Baltimore port is still blocked by debris, and although ships are still able to navigate through the Port of Baltimore, larger cargo items still cannot move through the port.

Why it matters:

The Francis Scott Key Bridge is a major bridge which transports moving goods into the port of Baltimore. With the collapse of the bridge, cargo ships are unable to get through the port. The port of Baltimore was the 17th biggest port in the nation overall in 2021. The blocking of the port has raised the costs of goods, forced the cargo importers to reroute and also caused delays. Some question how long it will take for the reestablishment of the bridge. According to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, the bridge took five years to complete. It’s estimated that the rebuilding of the bridge could take years.

According to Coast Guard Vice Admiral. Peter Gautier, the cargo ship contained hazardous materials. However, there is no threat to the safety of the public. While the remains of the accident will stay in the river, they will complicate the routes of other cargo ships. “It’s too soon to say how long it will take to reopen the Port of Baltimore or replace the destroyed bridge,” Buttigieg said.

What are other sources to look at?

Temporary shipping lane opens for Port of Baltimore after bridge collapse” – CBS News

Biden visit to bridge collapse announced as channel opens to Baltimore port” – The Washington Post

Crews work to open temporary channel near Baltimore bridge collapse for essential vessels” – CNN