Since the passing of Article 21 in the June 22, 2022 town meeting, the town has started construction on the Council on Aging (COA) and Community Center.
News Brief: Construction on Council on Aging and Community Center begins
May 3, 2024

Farmers markets of our community and their impact

Credit: Elyssa Grillo
Farmer’s markets contribute fresh food to towns and help to support small local businesses while connecting shoppers to unique vendors, nature and the community. “I really enjoy how everything at the farmers market is locally sourced,” Sudbury resident Jai Honda said. “I’ve discovered a lot of small businesses through it.”

Farmers markets were once just a method of selling food and goods, and now they’re so much more. Farmers markets are often held to support local businesses and provide delicious food to a community, ranging from freshly baked cookies to vegetables.

Farmers markets allow small businesses to expand their professions, show off their product and possibly grow into a successful company. The quality of food and products sold at a farmers markets is unlike those at a store due to the fact that the individuals who hand-made the product are selling the product. One local farmers market is at Russell’s Garden Center in Wayland.

Suzanna Berry, Wayland High School wellness teacher John Berry’s wife, has her own stand at Russell’s farmers market, where she sells hand-decorated cookies. Because of Russell’s popularity, S. Berry has gotten a variety of customers. Russell’s has both a winter and summer farmers market which are held weekly.

“It’s great exposure because not only is she selling the cookies, but people are seeing what she can do and what her product looks like, so they pick up her card and contact her to do special events,” J. Berry said. “Having that kind of direct to consumer contact has certainly been greatly beneficial.”

Russell’s customer and Sudbury resident Jai Honda visits Russell’s farmers markets every week during the winter season. He shops at the market for fresh food and produce on a regular basis, and has bought handmade gloves and a hat in the past from different vendors at the market.

“I really enjoy how everything at the farmers market is locally sourced,” Honda said. “I’ve discovered a lot of small businesses through it, and some I’ve returned to.”

Russell’s is not the only farmers market that is accessible to Wayland residents. There are many farmers markets in neighboring towns. Some individuals enjoy sticking to one farmers market while others enjoy exploring their options.

Below is a map of 11 local farmers markets in the greater Boston area.

“Farmers markets are a gathering place that is very helpful for Wayland that doesn’t have a lot of our own, especially with not as many shopping centers,” Berry said. “I saw people that I haven’t seen in years since it brings the community together.”

The community aspect surrounding these markets is inspiring to some customers due the connections and business provided from each market that is held. Farmers markets create an environment friendly shopping experience as shoppers are supporting small businesses rather than grocery stores or big corporations that often put chemicals into naturally organic products. Some buyers at farmers markets shop locally sourced food from trusted small companies in hopes of its health and wellness benefits.

“I always love to buy their garlic, potatoes and onions,” Berry said. “You can just notice a different taste and know it is good food. At the end of the day, farm fresh food is just so good.”

Junior Sofia Simmons is an upcoming leader of WHS’ Green Team club. Green Team is a group of students who support and promote environmentally friendly practices like composting, recycling and reusing, and advocating their ideals around the school and town.

“It’s definitely more sustainable to shop at farmer markets,” Simmons said. “I feel better because it’s more organic and not processed like foods sold at supermarkets.”

Some farmers market customers feel that the food they’re buying feels cleaner than food at a grocery store, and believe the fresh food can improve their overall health due to it being organic and unprocessed. Some vendors at farmers markets grow their own produce.

“Farmers markets are a main reason in supporting the Green Team’s objectives by overall soil health and saving water,” Simmons said.

Supporting farmers markets around the world is beneficial to the environment and the economy. Buying from farmers markets can help individuals reduce their carbon footprint and foster their community.

“Supporting local businesses over corporations will lead to a healthier planet,” Simmons said.

Learn more about Russell’s Winter Farmers Market with the video below. 

Russell’s Winter Farmers Market.
Russell’s Summer Farmers Market will open on June 26 and run through Oct. 9.