Since the passing of Article 21 in the June 22, 2022 town meeting, the town has started construction on the Council on Aging (COA) and Community Center.
News Brief: Construction on Council on Aging and Community Center begins
May 3, 2024

Steeples and Satellites: Banding people together through music

Credit: Sophia Verma
Join WSPN’s Sophia Verma as she discusses the significance of group dynamics within the Boston-based band Steeples and Satellites and how the band’s music has impacted their fans.

With a sound that blends rock, R&B, alternative, folk and pop music together, the Weston-based band Steeples and Satellites has made an impact on the indie rock scene and the local community through their unique songs. The band was founded 10 years ago and has went through some changes since. The current band members, Sarah Williamson, Matt Molyneux, Barbara Campbell, Tom Williamson, Ed Newton and Kevin Christensen, have been together for four years. According to the band’s website, they are known for “rich harmony, glittering musicianship and bold, thoughtful lyricism.” But, just how did this dynamic band come to be?

“[Guitarist]  Molyneux started an iteration of the band with [drummer] Christensen years ago named StickUp Boys,” singer Campbell said. “Fast forward a few years and Molyneux was asked to gather a few talented faculty members to perform at some community events. Molyneux then asked some of us to stay on and join StickUp Boys. We changed the name a few years later because the band wasn’t just boys anymore.”

While Steeples and Satellites may be a new name for the band, their core value of community engagement remains the same. Steeples and Satellites has found their musical forte through exploring the different themes behind their songs and mixing genres and harmonies.

Steeples and Satellites performs “Sierra Just Smiled” at Brookline Porchfest on Sep. 30, 2023. (Credit: Sophia Verma)

“We all approach [songwriting] from different vantage points, but I think we’re creating our own sound,” keyboardist and vocalist Williamson said. “Either Matt or [electric guitar player] Tom bring in some songs that they have been working on, and [electric bass player] Newton, Christensen and I play [along], trying to [bring to life] the vision that [the songwriters] created when they were writing the song.”

The band often showcases their sound to local audiences, and this community engagement is important to them. From performing at local pubs to larger events like Brookline Porchfest, Steeples and Satellites builds connections and momentum with every show they play.

“Our first gig as a band was at Hard Rock Cafe in Boston and it was pretty incredible,” Campbell said. “We’ve also played at Sally O’Brien’s, Thunder Road and The Lilypad. The Burren in Somerville was a major highlight last May—very good room for music. My dream would be to play at the music venues many of my heroes have played, [such as] The Bitter End in New York City, Toad’s Place in New Haven, Connecticut and The Paradise in Boston.”

While Steeples and Satellites has aspirations for their future career, band members reflect on how their music style has changed since joining the band, and how connections with their fellow band members plays a role in their group dynamic.

“I was a classical piano player, so how I play piano has changed entirely to be part of this band,” Williamson said. “[The type of sound I play] just depends on the song that we’re playing. Christensen really likes the band “RUSH,” and I had never listened to “RUSH” growing up, but he and I both really like Tori Amos, so [this shows that] there’s connections for all of us in the band.”

Steeples and Satellites performs their title track “Steeples and Satellites” at The Lilypad on Feb. 4, 2023. (Credit: Sophia Verma)

The band’s connections is what makes them feel like a like family. While their music resonates with many fans, Steeples and Satellites’ songs hold a more personal connection for Wayland High School academic center teaching assistant Wilson Capone.

“For me, their songs remind me a little bit of home and summers with my cousins by the lake,” Capone said. “My favorite song of theirs right now is “Midnights in Toledo,” because it matches that kind of chill, folk-indie-rock that I’ve been into recently. Their style is giving me old-school “Barenaked Ladies” vibes with their group vocal dynamic too, which I love.”

Steeples and Satellites strives to create songs that leave lasting impressions on their fans and evoke emotions for their listeners.

“[I hope that people feel] full of hope and joy with an urge to move and dance to the music,” Campbell said. “Some of the songs evoke strong emotions in me and I hope people feel some emotion when they hear it.”

Steeples and Satellites hopes to grow their fanbase and introduce fans to new genres and artists they wouldn’t normally listen to.

“We all come from different favorite genres, but at the end of the day we all like the idea of having some really nice blended vocal harmonies, and as a rock band, we encompass both of these [aspects of music,]” Williamson said.