ICYMI: Week of May 6 - AP testing takes place at WHS, Mothers Day gift ideas and college campuses face protests
ICYMI: Week of May 6 - AP testing takes place at WHS, Mother's Day gift ideas and college campuses face protests
May 13, 2024

Opinion: Prom should stay formal

Credit: Elyssa Grillo
As the prom fashion changes to reflect the trends of 2024, WSPN’s Elyssa Grillo and Mischa Lee discuss their opinions on the new casual dresses that are becoming more popular than the traditional, extravagant look.

It’s finally May, which means that prom is right around the corner. While the entire prom preparation process, from finding a date to booking appointments, can be stressful for some girls, committing to the perfect dress exceeds all other decisions.

The best dress is chosen based not only on personal style, but also what is trending and acceptable for the time period. Some girls are worried about fitting in with the rest of their grade, maybe even the rest of the country, so throughout prom history we can see dresses evolve with popular fashion. In the 1980s, every dress had poofy sleeves, in the 1990s slimmer silhouettes and darker colors came into fashion. Then the 2000s brought in neon and patterns, and finally in the 2010s, sequins were the only style on the dance floor. All of these prom dress adaptations align with the trends of the decade while still conforming to the extravagance of the event.

Since we are deep into the 2020s now, a switch up in prom fashion was bound to happen. Just this year, some prom-goers have turned to a more summery style for their dress. The look was nicknamed “Easter Dresses” since they resemble the style of dress some women wear on Easter Sunday to celebrate the coming of spring. The trend first started appearing on TikTok and Pinterest in the late winter when shopping for prom soared, and we don’t like it.

As time has gone on, society’s fashion standards have become less strict, causing fashion to lose its formality. For example, in the 20th century, no one would wear leggings or sweats unless they were working out, but now athleisure is a very common attire for everyday style. This effect is unfortunately now hitting prom, as the loose floral dresses that would commonly be worn at picnics are debuting at one of the most formal events of an American teenager’s life.

Before COVID-19, the most popular prom dresses were extravagant and glamorous with glitter, sparkles and tulle. Nowadays, prom dresses have become much more plain. While we love the simple yet elegant look, if we could switch the trends of prom dresses, we would. Since we were little kids, prom would be shown on TV shows and movies as the best night of our lives. Prom signified the most beautiful, over-the-top dresses, so it’s truly disappointing that “Easter” dresses are our new reality.

We also find the prom style switch up disappointing because prom could be one of the only times we get to dress up in full glam, except for maybe our wedding day. Some girls, just like us, have been excited to wear a gown to their prom, but if the casual prom trend continues, it would be less socially acceptable to wear more extravagant gowns.

We are not the only ones who were angered by the drastic change in prom dress styles. Many TikTokers, specifically women who went to prom in the 2010s, were surprised to see how simple the “Easter prom” dresses were compared to their own dresses. In the 2010s, two piece silhouettes and rhinestones were super popular for prom dress styles.

With the “clean girl” aesthetic becoming all the rage the past couple of years, prom looks have also become accustomed to the “clean” look. Some girls don’t want to do extravagant eyeshadow and instead lean towards the natural makeup look. We believe that this simple but elegant look is really beautiful for prom, however, seeing unique shades and fabrics is definitely more exciting.

While prom is supposed to be a fun event and is hyped up by Hollywood and the media often, some teens recount their prom experience as disappointing whether it’s the food, DJ or overall energy. The one thing we have control over is what we wear. Lavish, out-there fashion can make the whole party more exciting. If every person genuinely went all out for prom and indulged in the glitz and glamor of the event, then prom would stay the dazzling tradition it has always been.