From Jan. 19 to Feb. 2, Newton School District teachers demonstrated for a renewed and modified contract, which resulted in 11 days of canceled classes. Join WSPNs Reva Datar and Selena Liu as they interview Newton educators and students about the strike and its impact.
Newton educators and students reflect on record-breaking teacher strike
February 17, 2024

Language Club continues holiday tradition (29 photos)

[monoslideshow id=”128″]

The Wayland High School Language Department has been serving the Haitian community in the Boston area during the holidays for over 40 years. Although the recipients of the assistance have changed, the goal of providing holiday cheer for those in need remains the same.

This year, the Language Club, led by advisers Laura Huizinga and Melissa Bryant, brought 16 WHS students to the Haitian Multi-Service Center (HMSC) in Dorchester to deliver presents and run activities with low-income children.

WHS students led children from the HMSC, which is a part of the Yawkey Konbit Kreyol Center, in activities such as face painting, pin the nose on Rudolph and ornament making.

The Language Club collected gifts at WHS, and junior Doug Curtin dressed up as Santa Claus to deliver gifts to the children at the HMSC, whose ages range from two months to six years.

The WHS Language Department, led by Mary Brown, brought dozens of gifts to the Haitian-American Public Health Initiative in Mattapan earlier this month. According to Brown, even if the recipients change, these holiday traditions will continue for years to come.

“It’s part of the fabric of the language building,” said Brown. “We’ve made a commitment to the community. The need is always going to be there. The joy is in the giving; you get so much back.”

$0
$1500