Labs and oral presentations to be added to MCAS

Wayland High School students have become accustomed to the ME building’s spring plastering of “Quiet” signs, signaling the beginning of MCAS (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System) testing. Students hunch over pages upon pages of various subject tests while scribbling away with their #2 pencils. Recently, however, senior state education leaders have been pushing for more than just a paper and pencil test.

Wayland High School students, along with students across Massachusetts, may find themselves out of their seats and partaking in more hands-on activities as they prove to the state that they are ready to graduate. The state is aiming to introduce a critical thinking section, most likely including a lab experiment for the 10th grade science exam, as well as oral presentations for a 10th grade US history exam.

At present, in order to graduate from high school students must pass MCAS, which demonstrates proficiency in English, math, history, and science. However, according to a recent article in the Boston Globe, employers and educators are concerned that Massachusetts high school graduates are moving on to college or the working world with insufficient problem solving and oral presentation skills.

Despite these negative reports, Assistant Principal Allyson Mizoguchi sees Wayland students differently. “Our high school graduates are mostly prepared. Rather than more testing, I would love to see the state respond by supporting schools to develop curricula that build those skills.”

By adding other aspects to the test, supporters believe that students will develop these critical thinking skills, which have proven necessary for life beyond high school. But along with support of this proposal comes skepticism. Wayland junior Claire Leichter says, “Critical thinking and presentation skills are definitely important in life. but I don’t think that these skills can be tested in MCAS.”

In addition, it will not be simple for the proposal to pass—a legislative review must take place, not to mention teachers must be trained and state academic standards must be changed.

For the science in particular, a lot of materials, money, and time need to be devoted to the laboratory experiments. According to the Wayland High School science department head, Ken Altshuler, “The theory [of implementing lab experiments] is good in that it recognizes science as a hands-on subject.”

However, Altshuler went on to add that there also may be some impracticality involved: “The state will have to provide lab equipment for everyone at the same time in all the schools across the sate. It’s an idea with merit but it’s not something that will happen this year or next year.

Even if this proposal is passed, there is a good chance that it will take up to a decade to fully implement the new extensions on MCAS. Wayland High School students should not plan on putting their #2 pencils away quite yet.

$210
$1500