ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

Warrior Weekly: First Week

width="470"
This week, Harry recaps the Warriors' first week of games and discusses trends of major league teams.
[/caption]Well the first week of fall games has come and gone, and as a whole, we didn’t do too badly. After the first week, Wayland teams are at 4-5.

The boys’ soccer teams started their season with two straight 1-0 losses before finding their scoring touch against Snowden. Hopefully the 8-0 win will be a sign of better things to come for them.

Girls’ soccer also had a decent week with a 2-1 win against Weston and a 1-0 loss against Concord-Carlisle. It is always great to get a win against Weston.

Field hockey, like soccer, was up and down. Following a 6-0 win, the girls lost 5-1 to Lincoln-Sudbury.

Girls’ volleyball had a great week, winning their only match 3-0. Nice job ladies!

The football team, on the other hand, did not have the best week. They lost their season opener 17-0 against Hopkinton. There was not much offense, and they even switched their QB halfway through the game. The Warriors will have to improve in this area when they play next week against Norwood.

Speaking of a football team not finding any offense, what is going on with the Patriots? We let Wes Welker go and signed Wes Welker 2.0 in Danny Amendola. For Amendola’s entire career we have heard the phrase “if healthy.” Naturally, Amendola got hurt in week one, and now the Patriots have no one for Tom Brady to throw the ball to. Tom is at the end of his career, and unfortunately this looks like it could be a wasted season for number 12. Regardless, 2-0 is still 2-0. A win is a win. But if this trend keeps up, there won’t be a Lombardi trophy in our future.

You know who is winning? The Red Sox. Did anybody see this coming? As of Sunday at 6:15 p.m., the Sox have 91 wins. Let me put this into perspective for you: Last year the Red Sox won 69 games. That makes this year a 22 game improvement. In 2004 and 2007, the years in which the Red Sox won the World Series, they won 98 and 96 games respectively. With 12 games left, the Red Sox are on pace to overshoot both of those and win 99 games. This turnaround is shocking.

The most important lesson learned from the Red Sox this year is that there truly is no “I” in team. Last year, the Red Sox played with a bunch of “I’s” (Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett). This year, the team is playing with a bunch of nobodies, and they are still winning.

For my quote this week, there is only one choice:

“You’ve got to catch the ball when you’re supposed to catch the ball. My husband [Tom Brady] cannot throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can’t believe they dropped the ball so many times.”
-Gisele Bundchen

$210
$1500