WHS Tri-M society inducts new members

Above, junior and new Tri-M member Matt Ludwig (center) plays cello in the WHS orchestra’s masquerade concert on October 28. Tri-M is an international music honor society that recognizes middle and high school students. “[Tri-M] is beneficial to the music community here, and colleges recognize the honor and commitment that is being bestowed and undertaken,” advisor and fine arts department head Susan Memoli said.

The WHS Tri-M Music Honor Society held an induction ceremony for nine students on Jan. 7. Sophomores Maggie Fiske, Isabel Gitten, Alex Zhu and Lukas Bowditch were inducted. Five juniors were also granted membership: Christina Houde, Tyler Johnsen, Tamara Lord, Matt Ludwig and Chris Laven. Each inductee performed a solo at the induction ceremony, which took place in the WHS auditorium.

The Tri-M Music Honors Society is an international music honor society that recognizes middle and high school students for their academic and musical success. The Wayland chapter of Tri-M was founded three years ago, and its advisors are Fine Arts Department Head Susan Memoli, Chorus Director Rachel Carroll and Band Director Joseph Oneschuk.

“The students are joining to be a member of a student-led service organization. Their membership is recognized by colleges and universities,” Memoli said. “This is beneficial to the music community here, and colleges recognize the honor and commitment that is being bestowed and undertaken.”

Johnsen elaborated on the duties of a Tri-M member.

“There are a variety of things that members of Tri-M do, like tutoring and serving as student leaders in the music program at the high school. One of the most important things that members do is to help spread music throughout our community. The society aims to preserve music as an art form and help it grow.”

To join Tri-M, students must fill out an application and fulfill a set of requirements. To qualify for membership, students must have auditioned for Senior Districts this year, have an unweighted B average with no term grade below a C, have an A- or above in their music classes and be in their second year of year-round music classes at WHS. According to Memoli, every student who applied this year is a new member.

“I applied to become a member of Tri-M because music and performing have been such an integral part of my life,” Johnsen said. “I just felt that it would be a nice way to recognize my achievement in music and my love for it.”

A video of the induction ceremony will be available on WayCam.

2016 Inductees:
Maggie Fiske, trumpet
Christina Houde, voice
Tyler Johnsen, voice
Isabel Gitten, voice
Alexander Zhu, viola
Tamara Lord, marimba
Matt Ludwig, cello
Lukas Bowditch, drumset
Chris Laven, string bass