New assistant track coach introduced

Credit: Lucy Hughes

Pictured above is the Wayland High School outdoor track. The Boys’ Track team finished their season with a record of 2-3 in the DCL small.

Lucy Hughes

This spring, Colin Norgaard was introduced as the new assistant track coach. He has more than 17 years of experience coaching and has coached high school cross country and track since 2000. Norgaard has helped make many students into northeast regional and national champions.

He believes winning is great, but it is not what determines a sport. Norgaard explains that winning should not be what drives an athlete.

“We believed in what we wanted those athletes to accomplish and had the same mentality in understanding that true winning comes from guiding that athlete to find the best within themselves and not just in the outcome of always trying to win,” Norgaard said.

Norgaard has been looking for a coaching opportunity in Wayland for years.

“I felt that I belonged and knew that I could contribute great things to the program,” Norgaard said. “It has been [the] top of my priority list being a part of the community and having my kids going through the school system.”

Norgaard is a certified physical education teacher and is currently working on his doctoral degree in Educational Leadership. He has earned the title of Huskies Coach of the Year and has won many state and conference titles. Norgaard coached teams that have been ranked number one nationally.

“We all have the same passion, love and drive for the sport,” Norgaard said. “I’m truly honored to be a part of the program, and I’m looking forward to learning great things from the other coaches and enjoying the experience and development of the team.”

According to Norgaard, he is excited to work with Head Outdoor Track Coach Peter Galalis because they both have similar views on coaching. They share a common belief in the athlete.

“Being a part of the Wayland High School athletic program is everything to me, and I truly feel [like a] part of the family,” Norgaard said.