Athlete of the Week: Matt Clayton

Pictured above is senior Matt Clayton at the meet where he broke the Wayland High School steeplechase record.

Credit: Courtesy: Matt Clayton

Amira English

Name: Matt Clayton

Grade: Senior

Sport: Cross-Country, Track

Achievements: Clayton is the cross-country team captain, holds the track and field school record (Steeplechase), is a three-time DCL All-Star (two times for track, one time for cross-country), seven season varsity runner, four-time divisional qualifier (three times for track, one time for cross-country). His one-mile time is 4 minutes and 40 seconds, and a 5k in 16 minutes and 44 seconds. Clayton also won the Wayland High School Track and Field Award.

Sports Idols: Alberto Salazar (Wayland Alumnus) and Steve Prefontaine.

Are you continuing cross-country in college?
Clayton is planning on running Division III track and cross-country but is unsure as to where he will run.

Favorite sports memory:
“At the end of my junior year, I broke the outdoor track steeplechase school record, an award that secured me a place on a list among the likes of athletes such as Alberto Salazar, one of the most successful American distance runners to ever live, and of course, a Wayland High School graduate,” Clayton said. “I crossed the finish line that day happier than I’ve ever been in my entire athletic career, but my personal achievement wasn’t what made the race stand out above all the other races I’ve run. Instead, it was the support I received when I got off the track. First I thanked my coaches, then I hugged my parents, and finally, I opened my phone to find countless texts waiting for me within 10 minutes of my race from the same Wayland High School runners I looked up to as a freshman.”

He credits older athletes and coaches for giving him the inspiration and motivation to run his heart out at every meet which he believes led to his success and love for track.

Favorite quote: “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Steve Prefontaine