Wayland baseball welcomes new coach Paul Bonfiglio

Credit: Hannah Rice

Paul Bonfiglio, the new head baseball coach at Wayland High School, looks down the line and gives signals to his team.

Tamira English and Lily Tardif

Wayland High School’s Athletic Department welcomes Paul Bonfiglio as the new head coach of the baseball team. Prior to working at Wayland High, Bonfiglio had an extensive background in working with different baseball programs. He has coached at Newton South High School and coaches a collegiate summer team, as well as various AAU teams.

“I have coached various levels of baseball, including high school ball at Newton South from 2009 through 2011. There I was a varsity assistant. I have also coached an elite collegiate summer team and various ages of AAU,” Bonfiglio said.

Bonfiglio has a true passion for baseball. Prior to coaching, Bonfiglio played collegiate baseball and worked in sales and marketing. He also spent time as a baseball journalist, as well as a personal instructor.

“In addition to the coaching, I played college ball,” Bonfiglio said. “I was a baseball journalist covering the New England region. I was a regional director of sales and marketing for a baseball bat company. And I still see clients as a personal baseball instructor. I love the game.”

Although Bonfiglio has a history with baseball, moving into any new environment could be potentially stressful. Bonfiglio’s transition into Wayland baseball, however, has been particularly smooth.

“Taking over the program has been great. I value the interactions and relationships with everyone associated with the program, which extends further than the players, coaches and parents. The people have been terrific,” Bonfiglio said.

His transition has been made easy in part by business teacher Fred Lehmann.

“Fred Lehmann is on the baseball staff,” Bonfiglio said. “He’s terrific. Really a special, special educator. Unbelievably dedicated to the kids. That’s one reason I like this experience more than anything I have experienced before. For every other person associated with our program you will find another reason.”

Bonfiglio looks forward to a successful season with his players and has carefully chosen a strong varsity team.

“I want to create a competitive and fun environment where baseball is used as a means of helping our student-athletes gain skills and values that they can successfully apply to all areas of their lives,” Bonfiglio said.