Q&A: Student Council candidates

WSPN sat down with the Student Council secretary candidates and asked them a few questions about their campaign prior to the election on Monday, May 22.

Credit: WSPN Staff

Caterina Tomassini

WSPN sat down with several Student Council representative candidates before the elections on Sept. 20 and Sept. 21. The student body will elect two representatives from each grade, a new policy that Student Council is implementing.

Freshman Taylor Hsu
Why do you want to run for Student Council?
“I want to run for Student Council because I want to help organize the events that this school provides.”

What makes you different from other candidates?
“I’m different than the other candidates because I always bring a positive attitude to the table.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“If I’m elected, I’d definitely throw in ideas that my grade enjoys since I’m representing them.”

Sophomore Elizabeth Zhong
“I want to run for Student Council to get experience in organizing events and such.”

“I’m different from other candidates because I’m dedicated, I’m very organized and [I] have a good track record of getting things done on time.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“If I’m elected, I would plan more fun activities during Winter Week and make sure to follow through with those plans.”

Sophomore Victoria Andreasen
“I want to run for Student Council because I enjoy representing my class and I want to be a part of organizing fun activities and events for our school.”

“I am different from the other candidates because I am exceptionally outgoing, enthusiastic and genuinely motivated to be a productive and helpful member of our Student Council.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“When elected, I will actively engage with the other Student Council members to execute new and fun ideas for our school.”

Sophomore Atharva Weling
“People don’t really think Student Council does much, aside from the officers acting as hosts for events. I want to run for Student Council to change that. The sophomore class is big and is going to require help not only from e-board but from school governance as well. I want to help the Student Council work more for the students than it has in the past and help the sophomore class and the rest of the school have an outstanding year.”

“I feel like I’m different from other candidates because of my motivations. I think a lot of people run for college, especially because they feel like it’s a great resumé booster without needing to do any actual work. I feel like I bring new ideas and a new sort of ethic. I want to change the fact that people feel like Student Council does nothing because it’s very capable of doing something.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“I’d want to start off with events and fundraising. I know that’s what everyone says, but it’s still really important. I think the reality is that the things that we want in our events could happen if we have the right type of funds. Things like selling Krispy Kreme donuts and other types of food, despite being super common, have worked really well historically. Using money from those, we can drastically change the number and quality of events we have. In addition, my school experience is nothing like everyone else’s. Each person has different things they want to see fixed. In Student Council, we are in a unique position to help the whole school, and that means each unique opinion gets heard. That means [conducting] surveys, voting on ideas and being open to emails from the student body on what they need us to do. It’s time Student Council served the students who chose them.”

Sophomore Sam Goldstone
“I’m running because I was on Student Council last year, and I think that there are tons of improvements that still need to be made and I’m ready and willing to hear out our grade’s needs.”

“I am different because I have the most student government experience. Last year, I was on [the class] executive board and Student Council. This year, I’m serving as class president and intend on continuing to be a Student Council representative.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“If elected, I plan on making sure every voice is heard regarding decisions surrounding important things. For example, everyone complained last year about how Winter Week wasn’t fun, so I intend to work hard and make sure that we as a Student Council get more performances and a school-wide movie [where] everyone is happy.”

Junior Robert Glazer
“I want to run mainly because I plan to run for Student Council president at the end of the year, and [I] would like to get as much experience in student government beforehand. Even if I do not become president, I would like to be on the Student Council regardless and try to make an impact at the school.”

“Every candidate I’ve talked to seems like they would be very devoted and they are all very strong potential candidates, but I think my goals may differ from theirs. I want to make sure to keep my focus on the smaller issues that may be overlooked by the rest of the Student Council.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“If I get elected, my main effort would definitely be to promote student involvement. I have seen a lot of events that were planned very well but then found that a large part of the student body did not attend. Though the solution to this will depend on the event being planned, my main goal will be to make sure as many students as possible want to participate.”

Junior Daniel Ryu
“I was part of the Student Council and saw how business went around here. I felt that I had a chance [at] the position.”

“Fun fact: [during last year’s] election, I was the only candidate for president that was [a] part of Student Council. I also had visions of a better school and one with a bit more student interaction.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“More fundraisers, better safeguards against controversy and a more interactive Winter Week [and] Spirit Day.”

Junior Arden Knapp
“I want to run for Student Council because I think I could make some good changes to WHS that would benefit everyone. I also really enjoy being involved in our school and want to make it the best place possible.”

“I think what makes me different from other candidates is that I want to hear other people’s ideas. I love suggestions and would be willing to put in opinions from students who aren’t in Student Council or e-board and who feel like they can’t put forth their ideas. I have a broad range of interests. I play sports, and I am involved in the arts as well as a number of clubs. I think I could represent a wide section of the student body.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“If I am elected, I would work to make Winter Week better by incorporating more student input and working with the administration far in advance to plan a fun set of activities.”

Junior Aidan Bonner
“I’ve wanted to get into leadership roles for the school for the past couple of years. I want my views and takes to be heard, and I like to talk about things going on in our school, not just things we learn about in class.”

“A couple things that differentiate me from the other candidates is that I’m not just doing it to put this on my resume, and I feel like I have a good relationship with almost everyone in my grade.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“Here are some things I hope to do if I’m elected: I would like to [restore] Winter Week to its former glory, [for example] finding an enjoyable and educational movie, along with making students truly excited for the activities that Winter Week offers [and] not just excited because they miss some class time.”

Other candidates include freshmen Eliya Howard-Delman and Axel Fraud, sophomore Remmi Shaw, juniors Shawn Bernier, Adianez Cabral, Kyle Chen, Jasper Hsu, Ciara Murphy, Gabriella Rostler, Paul Curtin and seniors Rafael Chaves and Corinne Neumeyer.