ICYMI: Week of September 24

ICYMI: Week of September 24

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” WSPN’s news editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:
WSPN’s Kyle Chen profiled Parry Graham, the new assistant superintendent of Wayland Public Schools. Graham most recently worked as principal of Nashoba Regional High School in Bolton.

“I hope that what people will feel from me and the rest of the central office team is continued high levels of support,” Graham said. “That has been the most important thing we do – support people who are in the schools.”

Features:
WSPN’s Hailey Robinson interviewed the leaders of four new clubs at WHS: Ultimate Frisbee, Rotary Interact, Sports Analysis and Sports Management.

Robinson and editor Caitlin Newton then delved into the trades of unconventional athletes at WHS. Sophomores Talia Camiel and Jason Haims and juniors Emma Levy and Isabel Mishara compete in a variety of sports unaffiliated with the school, including “Rocket Cheer,” CrossFit, tennis and horseback riding, respectively.

Sports:

Reporter Remmi Shaw snapped 29 photos of the boys’ soccer victory over Cambridge Rindge & Latin on Sept. 30, while co-editor Kate Balicki got 40 shots of the girls’ field hockey loss to Weston.

A&E:

Reporters Carly Camphausen and Caroline Lampert listed their top 15 favorite fall activities of 2018. They include going apple picking, making apple crisp and going to Halloween parties. Several picks are linked to handy guides to get you started!

Opinions:

WSPN’s Joyce Wu reviewed Hollywood’s favorite summer breakthrough, “Crazy Rich Asians.” Wu discusses film settings, character development, relative real-world themes and the significance of “Crazy Rich Asians” to the Asian-American community.

“This film shouldn’t be labeled as a good ‘Asian film,’ but rather a good film with an all-Asian cast,” Wu writes.

Multimedia:

WSPN’s Max Brande and Charlie Moore gave live commentary for the football team’s victory over Boston Latin through compressed game footage shot by senior Henry Stafford. Key moments include sophomore running back Jaison Tucker’s 81-yard rushing touchdown and senior Michael Lampert’s 55-yard receiving touchdown.

Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...