Q&A with freshmen presidential candidates

WSPN sat down with freshmen candidates for president and vice president. Elections will take place on Oct. 4.

Credit: Eugene Valter

Caterina Tomassini

Freshman elections will take place on Oct. 4, and candidates will give speeches the day prior. WSPN sat down with presidential and vice presidential candidates to get their takes on the race.

Presidential Candidates

Freshman Kaitlyn Mabe

Why are you fit to be class president?
“I think I’m fit to be elected president because I am very approachable and I take responsibility. I stand by my peers in a time of need and I respect everyone’s opinions. I am passionate to make sure everyone has a voice. I am easygoing, so I can talk to a wide range of people. Most importantly, I focus hard on my work, I step up to the plate under pressure and I use my sense of humor to make the environment around me comfortable and most importantly, fun.”

What will you do if elected president?
“If I am elected president, I will make sure that I take classmate suggestions and opinions that they are passionate about and use that to make the right decisions for our grade. I want to make sure it’s not only me, but my classmates helping to make this a great, and especially fun year for our class, just like I had envisioned.”

What makes you different from other candidates?
“I think something that makes me different is the dedication, passion and drive I have and the way I can apply myself toward the things I believe in, like being president. I also can get stuff done, but in an environment that is fun and gets people excited to share ideas. I’m very excited about the elections and to get involved with something like this.

Freshman Andrew Zhao

Why are you fit to be class president?
“I think that I am fit to be president because I am a hard worker and a leader. I have the leadership skills to be the president of our class, and I also will work hard when I am president to make the Class of 2022 the best class.”

What will you do if elected president?
“If elected, I plan to get a start on fundraising right away. Freshman year is the year where fundraising is very important for the upcoming years. Fundraising is the core behind class events such as semi or prom.”

“What makes me different from the other candidates is that although fundraising would be my number one priority, listening to the class and providing fun activities based on what the whole grade wants to do is a close second.”

Freshman Katherine Kim

Why are you fit to be class president?
“I think I’m fit to be the president because I am good at listening to others’ voices, collecting their helpful thoughts and putting them into action.”

“The thing that makes me different from other candidates is that I have experience in a leadership position. I was the class president in seventh grade, and [through] that I got to think about how to become a better leader. So now, I’m well prepared to be a better president than others.”

What do you plan to do if elected?
“If elected, I will ask my classmates what they think they want and need and actively reflect their opinions.”

Vice Presidential Candidates

Freshman Sofia Barris

What makes you fit to be vice president?
“I have been in the Wayland school system for a very long time, during which I have worked with a lot of individuals and groups, either through sports, classes or clubs. I really enjoy collaborating with my peers and even administrators. That includes listening to and learning from different opinions and perspectives.”

If elected, what do you plan on doing?
“I have spent a lot of time talking to and hearing from upperclassmen student body leaders and my advisers about the type of activities that have worked and those that have not. That includes effective fundraisers and social events. It is so important that the Class of 2022 gets off to a great start financially and [in terms of] bringing the class together. This will help not only this year but the next four as well.”

What makes you different from the other candidates?
“While our class is small, I will make every effort to ensure that all the different groups like theater, music and arts, academic organizations, athletic teams and clubs feel the benefits of our actions equally. We as a class will have a fuller and more vibrant four years if we all share the benefits of our efforts.”

Freshman Garrett Spooner

What makes you fit to be class vice president?
“I think that I am fit to be vice president because I possess great leadership skills, I work hard and I know how to fundraise.”

What do you plan to do if you are elected?
“If I’m elected, I will focus on fundraising with my fellow officers and e-board.”

“I’m different from other candidates because I’ve been thinking of doing this my whole life. I am interested in current events today, including the many political scenarios happening throughout our lives.”

Other candidates include freshmen Mia Djafari for president and Lauren Medeiros for vice president.