• Wrestling wins quad meet against Keefe Tech, Lexington and Holliston on Saturday 12/8

• BREAKING: School Committee votes for 8:35 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. WHS schedule, shorter Wednesdays to remain

• Second vote for WHS Athletic Complex Renovation project postponed from November to April

Warrior Weekly: World of Wayland sports

Warrior Weekly is a weekly blog discussing both Wayland and national sports. This year, sports broadcast editor Charlie Moore and staff reporters CJ Brown and Aiden Chitkara will alternate as writers. Read CJ’s first post recapping some fall sports and previewing some winter sports here at WHS.

Warrior Weekly: World of Wayland sports

WSPN's CJ Brown reflects on WHS fall sports and looks ahead to the winter sports season this week

CJ Brown

With fall sports coming to a close and winter sports kicking into gear, there’s a lot to talk about in the world of Wayland sports. For my first blog post, I’ll be covering the results of fall sports and provide information about the upcoming winter season.

Fall Sports:

After a disappointing regular season in which the Warriors didn’t win the DCL Small league, the boys’ soccer team took to the playoffs with a fury. Despite not having a first round bye, our soccer team was able to win six straight games in the postseason and their third state championship in five years. The senior-led team was magical in the playoffs and won four of their games in overtime, two by shootout. The most memorable play was when senior goalie Nick Smith stopped one of Nipmuc’s penalty kicks, which won the state championship. Immediately afterward, he was rushed by teammates and fans storming the field. It was certainly a season for the books.

Girls’ volleyball was a Cinderella story this fall. For the first time in five years, they qualified for the playoffs. The girls entered the postseason with a 7-12 record and were awarded the 19th seed. In the first round, they were slated to play Danvers, the number three seed. The Warriors pulled off an incredible upset, beating Danvers 3-2. Even though it fell to Melrose in the next round, the team had a great season.

2018 was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Wayland football, but the boys surpassed all outside expectations. After a 7-4 season the year before, the Warriors won their second consecutive DCL Small title and finished second in the sectional tournament, the best finish Wayland football has experienced under the current playoff system. The boys also routed Weston 48-8 in the annual Turkey Bowl, rounding out the season at 8-3. WHS boasted nine DCL All-Stars, including senior DCL Small MVP Wellington Pereira, senior Lineman of the Year Brooks Jones and junior Offensive Player of the Year Mason Bolivar.

Winter Sports:

Girls’ basketball went 10-1 in the DCL last year, but they graduated studs in Jackie Stoller and Darby Leid and also lost freshman phenom Lilly Stoller to private school. Hopefully, the girls can bounce back after their first round knockout in the playoffs last year.

Boys’ swim and dive won their second straight state championship in the 2017-2018 season, but they sent Sean Devlin, Tom Simon and Asa Greenaway to Georgetown, Tufts and Lehigh respectively, and they’ll be missed. Despite losing three graduate swimmers, head coach Mike Foley’s program is one that works, and the boys hope to complete a three-peat.

Boys’ hockey was the story of last winter. After going 12-9-3, their playoff run to the sectional finals was legendary, and the chaos in the fan section isn’t going to be forgotten anytime soon. The boys lost their top three points leaders in Mike Jones, Joe Lyons and Riley Bonner, as well as captain defenseman Joe Lydon. Despite heavy turnover, the team has the potential to have another great year with senior Ryan Nolan still in net. Key returning players include sophomore forward Mike Boschetto, junior forward Aiden Chitkara, junior forward Evan Vassilovski, senior defenseman Jack Crowley, junior defenseman Paul Curtin and sophomore defenseman Jimmy Paugh. A notable game for the Warriors is the inaugural Hockey Fights Cancer game against Bedford at 1 p.m. on Dec. 29.

Last winter, the wrestling team didn’t win the sectional tournament for the first time in five years. The team also lost All-State champion Ramazan Attasauov, who was close to unbeatable in his two years at WHS. The team looks to reclaim the sectional title behind state champion captain Jones and sectional champion captain Mike German. The wrestling team also hopes to regain the DCL title, which Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School has claimed for the past two years. This is an attainable goal, as L-S lost its head coach as well as two-time New England champion Andrew Marshall and a slew of other seniors.

CJ Brown, Staff Reporter

CJ Brown, class of 2020, is a second year staff reporter for WSPN. He is a member of the football, wrestling and track teams. He was also elected to the...

1 Comment

One Response to “Warrior Weekly: World of Wayland sports”

1. Heath Rollins on November 30th, 2018 12:24 PM

Where are the recaps of cross country and field hockey?

• Warrior Weekly: World of Wayland sports

Students give back to daycare community with holiday cheer

MOTS: Students share thoughts on the El Chapo trial

Debate team collects silver bid to national tournament

Warrior Weekly: A breakdown of recent football news

News Brief: Ski teams to hold Ski Swap

Alternative Forms of Learning: Where students look for support

Artist of the Month: Sammy Janoff

News Brief: Nocito to retire after three years at WHS

Nick Smith: You have to know that you’re going to make a save

To Google or not to Google?

Warrior Weekly: World of Wayland sports