Wrestling hosts sectionals (13 photos)

Caitlin Newton and Meredith Prince

The Wayland wrestling team hosted the Division 3 Central Sectional meet on Saturday, Feb. 9. Fifteen teams wrestled at the meet and Wayland placed third overall. Senior captain Brooks Jones and junior Cameron Jones both placed first in their weight class at the meet which secured them a spot to wrestle at states on Friday, Feb. 15 and 16. Freshman Greg Deeley, sophomore Oliver Cerne, sophomore Zach Anzivino, sophomore Matt Morris, senior Michael German and senior Erik Sweeney, also placed in the brackets of their weight classes and wrestled at states.

• Junior CJ Brown tries to turn his opponent for a pin as the opponent struggles to get out from underneath him. Brown holds him down tightly so he cannot get up from the mat.

• Freshman Finn O’Driscoll tries to escape from his Holliston opponent. O’Driscoll made the decision to wrestle only a couple of weeks before the season started. “I knew the wrestling team had such a great past with all of their wins. I was persuaded by my freshman football coach, coach [Sean] Chase, to wrestle," O'Driscoll said. "My friend, Greg Deeley, who has been wrestling for most of his life also convinced me to wrestle. The best part about the team is all of the energy in the [wrestling] room and at meets. Especially that state match [last week]. The room erupted with excitement after that happened."

• Senior captain Michael German cradles his opponent from Randolph and pinned him in a little over a minute. This win allowed him to advance to the semifinals, and German placed second in his weight class.

• Senior Brian Carmichael looks at the scoreboard during his match to see how much time he has left in the period. He continues to hold his opponent around his leg as he attempts to cradle him.

• Coach Scott Parseghian and Chase yell out instructions for Carmichael as he wrestles his opponent. They give constructive criticism to boost the Wayland wrestler’s chance of winning the match.

• Junior Cameron Jones takes his opponent from Bellingham down by holding his arm and leg. Cameron Jones placed first in his weight class at 170 pounds. “I was super nervous before [the finals] because I had never been in that position before,” Cameron Jones said. “It was a really good feeling [to win my bracket] because it was months of hard work paying off.”

• At the end of the first period, sophomore Oliver Cerne leads his third-seeded Ashland opponent by five points.

• Cerne turns his Ashland opponent over to earn three back points while coaches Gary Chase, Lee Krasnoo and Joe Manley give instructions to Cerne.

• Sophomore Will Munroe begins a new round on the bottom in the referee’s position. Once the referee blows his whistle, Munroe attempts to escape his opponents grasp and get back up on the mat.

• Senior captain Brooks Jones attempts to power-half his opponent from Ashland. The opponent was the 5th seed for the bracket and B. Jones pinned him in a minute and 47 seconds.

• Sophomore Matt Morris attempts to pin his opponent as he struggles out of Morris’ grasp. Winning this match allowed Morris to advance to the finals.

• Wayland wrestling team members cheer as Morris receives two back points from his turn on his opponent. They watch intently as Morris fights to win the match.

• The referee holds up Morris’ arm after he defeated his opponent. Morris placed second in his weight class at the sectional meet. “I had to go out onto the mat with a clear mind, do my job for my team and get the win,” Morris said.