BREAKING NEWS: Wayland High School, Middle School to be in-person 5 days a week starting April 27

Wayland+High+School+and+Middle+School+will+return+to+all+in+person%2C+five+days+a+week+learning+starting+April+27.+The+decision+comes+after+the+the+Massachusetts+Commissioner+of+Elementary+and+Secondary+Education+mandated+all+grades+6-8+to+be+all+in+person+five+days+a+week.+

Credit: Atharva Weling

Wayland High School and Middle School will return to all in person, five days a week learning starting April 27. The decision comes after the the Massachusetts Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education mandated all grades 6-8 to be all in person five days a week.

Joanna Barrow

UPDATE:
Wayland High School will also return to all in person, five days a week learning starting on April 27th.

The School Committee voted unanimously to approve Superintendent Arthur Unobskey’s suggestion for the high school to return on April 27th.

The decision came after much deliberation among the School Committee, who considered safety and logistical factors. The Committee seemed to be most concerned with the “socio-emotional” well being of students. Assistant Superintendent Parry Graham gave a presentation highlighting data from parent, staff and student feedback forms that suggested returning to all in person school would be a benefit for students’ mental health.

The School Committee expects the Massachusetts Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Jeffrey Riley to mandate all high schools to return to all in person, five days a week learning, and so in part voted to go all-in to preemptively prepare for a state mandate.

Multiple members of the School Committee expressed that all the students they had talked to “loved” the Wednesday schedule, which allows for students to meet with teachers and work independently. However, the School Committee expects that the state will not allow any remote working days in the future.

April 26th will be a Professional Day at the high school as well as at the middle school. Students in grades 6-12 will not have school the Monday following April vacation.

Wayland Middle School will return to all in person, five days a week learning starting April 27.

The School Committee unanimously approved the motion proposed by WPS Superintendent Arthur Unobskey.

Custodial staff will take April vacation to prepare the middle school, which will require setting up each classroom to accommodate twice the number of students.

April 26 will be a Professional Day to allow for teachers to prepare for the move. Students will not attend school.

The decision came after Massachusetts Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Jeffrey Riley mandated grades 6-8 to be all in person, five days a week.

Remote school for grades K-8 after April 28 will no longer count toward the state’s quota for learning hours. However, families may still opt for their student to enter the WRAP program.

The state postponed making a mandate for high schools until April, but the Wayland School Committee is expected to vote on a plan for Wayland High School later tonight.