Breaking News: Electrical issues in the guidance wing


Credit: Aimee Smith

The fire department arrived at Wayland High School at 11 a.m. on Friday, May 27 to check out a strange odor in the guidance wing. The odor was the result of a blown out transformer, but the fire department was able to address the issue.

Aimee Smith and Nadya Chase

At 11 a.m. on Friday, May 27, Wayland High School administration called the fire department to investigate an electrical smell in the guidance wing. The fire department examined the wires to make sure that the smell was not a result of something actively burning or on fire.

The smell was a result of an electrical transformer that blew out, so there is no imminent problem. The smell is now gone, and there is no concern for the safety of the guidance department.

The test announcements that occurred around the same time were not due to the electrical problem in the guidance wing. The public address (PA) system at the Wayland High School has been cutting out in certain rooms, so the main office wanted to ensure that everything was working properly.

“Everything is back to normal,” vice principal Laura Cole said.